Whatbird Community

Two KY birds

Hi guys, I was birding yesterday in central KY and got some semi-blurry pictures that I need help identifying. I think the first is a flycatcher species based on the wing bars, but not sure which. I don't know about the second species. I thought it might be a titmouse, but I thought the call sounded odd. Sorry for the bad quality. 

1. Flycatcher?

DSC_0464.thumb.JPG.61ef0993eb818abef1b1d942cbdf346d.JPG

2-4. Maybe a titmouse

DSC_0477.thumb.JPG.92146e744290a254bd7970d85b41e51b.JPGDSC_0478.thumb.JPG.bcf1d35024ecd168ac9c46d582e7dbb2.JPGDSC_0479.thumb.JPG.9eef46c5718281852d08a146102d6a57.JPG

I do not know about Bell's vireo - I know it wasn't doing that scratchy scribble-sounding BEVI song. Also, where I was birding central KY is a little far east for Bell's. Definitely not ruling it out though, I would love to spot a Bell's vireo here! I don't suppose it could be a blue-headed vireo? It may be a trick of the light, but it looks like the chin is lighter than the cheeks and head. 

Ah, that's very helpful if you heard the song- what did it sound like? Robin-like in quality?

If it's not a Bell's Vireo, it's without a doubt a Warbling Vireo. Blue-headed Vireo would have a much stronger facial pattern and would not have yellow undertail coverts.

I didn't manage to get a recording, so I can't remember exactly what it sounded like, but I am confident it wasn't a Bell's. It was hopping from branch to branch and singing, so it was hard to get a good picture, but I like warbling vireo based on the colors. Listening to the warbling vireo's song on ebird, I am not 100% that that is what I heard, but I am more inclined towards WAVI than BEVI. Thanks for the help! ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Definitely a Vireo of some sort. Hard to tell, Looks a little better for Warbling/Philidelphia to me, but could definitely be a Red-eyed

I see it as a vireo, too, though, given the pix, I could be wrong. However, I'd go with Warbling over Red-eyed, given the seemingly smallish bill. And it's certainly not a Philly, given the date, location, and underparts coloration.