Whatbird Community

This bird was a first-time customer at my feeders today and his size and markings struck me as unusual.  

I live in North Battleford, SK, Canada which is a small city near a river valley system.

We live right in the middle of the city and usually have an assortment of chickadees, sparrows, and nuthatches that frequent the feeders (along with the occas. Blue Jay and squirrel).

I pored through my books and apps and nothing seemed to ‘match’ given where we live.  It kind of looks like a Grosbeak (which I’m unfamiliar with) but doesn’t due to coloring?  Maybe immature?

I’d love to know more so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!  I like to watch what’s in the yard and find out more when I see something new 🙂 

5080A122-306F-4795-83B9-0F785ED34259.jpeg

D5E95063-8D55-4959-A09A-57E51011FAB0.jpeg

BEB24A54-5738-46C4-A0A6-4F3374E37DC4.jpeg

Looks like it’s too small to be a grosbeak. They’re kind of big. Looks more like a purple finch or house finch. They’re pretty similar. 

12 hours ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a male that has already molted into winter plumage I believe. 

10 hours ago, Sue said:

Looks like it’s too small to be a grosbeak. They’re kind of big. Looks more like a purple finch or house finch. They’re pretty similar. 

I stand corrected. I would have thought they’d be bigger though based on an influx of Evening Grosbeaks we had back on Long Island some 30 years ago. The snows were terrible in the Midwest for a few years. It wasn’t much fun in NY either!

I stand corrected. I would have thought they’d be bigger though based on an influx of Evening Grosbeaks we had back on Long Island some 30 years ago. The snows were terrible in the Midwest for a few years. It wasn’t much funin NY either!

7 hours ago, Sue said:

I stand corrected. I would have thought they’d be bigger though based on an influx of Evening Grosbeaks we had back on Long Island some 30 years ago. The snows were terrible in the Midwest for a few years. It wasn’t much funin NY either!

Size can be difficult to judge, especially when working from a photo without having actually seen the bird live.  This particular photo doesn't include any objects of known size, so we don't have anything to compare the bird with.  There's the feeder, but we don't know how big it actually is.

There have been a couple of photos recently including Downy Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers on suet cages.  Those photos make size comparison easy between the two otherwise similar woodies, and the cages of two relatively standard sizes.  This photo doesn't offer us any useful size comparisons so we have to work with the evidence we do have.