Whatbird Community

This is actually a Traill's (Willow/Alder) Flycatcher. The primaries are too short for a wood-pewee.

• Like 1

Actually, the two species are so similar that even with a view of the front of the bird it would not be identifiable to species with certainty. What you really need is vocals of the bird, either song or call.

Thanks,

I just listened to the calls on allaboutbirds and if I heard anything, it was a Willow. I also looked at sightings reports on eBird and Willows are common in this area; whereas Alders are not. I think it was probably a Willow but I'll try to pay more attention to the call next time.

12 minutes ago, flightman said:

Thanks,

I just listened to the calls on allaboutbirds and if I heard anything, it was a Willow. I also looked at sightings reports on eBird and Willows are common in this area; whereas Alders are not. I think it was probably a Willow but I'll try to pay more attention to the call next time.

The traits visible in your photo also support Willow - slight crest, long bill, virtually no eyering.