Whatbird Community
Janelle

Feather Found from what Type of Bird?

My neighbors and I have always tried to call owls at night around the bonfire without luck. We are near a lake and wonder if they just do not hang out in the area until I found this feather. Does it belong to an owl or maybe a hawk? Can anyone identify a bird by a feather  that was found? I was trying to use this site but there are too many possibilities.  We are located in Michigan. any help would be appreciated.🙂

20200617_114306.jpg

20200617_114346.jpg

Posted (edited)

The shape of the feather (little or nothing of a notch, extensive emargination; see below link for definitions) makes it a middle primary, which then rules out all owl species. Owls essentially lack emarginations on their primaries, which is one of the owl adaptations for "silent" flight. Below, I have also linked to pages on the incredible US Fish & Wildlife Service's Feather Atlas site on Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, and Broad-winged Hawk. Finally, from the same site, the Great Horned Owl primaries.

Emargination and notch

Sharp-shinned

Cooper's

Broad-winged

Great Horned

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
  • Like 2