Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ken Nielsen

Don't know what is - Female Red Winged Black Bird?

Portland, Oregon today June 17th this bird is a mystery to me as does not conform to any other reference photos I have. Structure looks like possible female Red Winged Black Bird? Need help with this one... Thank You... 

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 5.28.21 PM.png

With the dark iridescent feathers and light spots, as well as the yellow bill, this is a European Starling. 

Posted (edited)

Seconded. It looks like it might be immature with that much brown on the wings and tail.

Edited by Hal.314

Beautiful pictures! I would have to say after seeing the second photo, I think I am incorrect in guessing it was immature.

The head is pure black with no speckles, so I think this is a breeding adult European Starling.

Thank you so very much. There are lots of these right now and beautiful lively birds that are fun to watch. I appreciate your help with this.

• Like 1

The immatures are really confusing as they look very little like the adults, including the beaks; just the chunky bodies/general shape. I got confirmation on this photo a few weeks ago on this forum for the juvenile starling - even before the before the black base and white spots appear. The second photo is a also a young one from the year before.

Starling juvenile.JPG

Starling juvenile Wantea-N rd.JPG