Whatbird Community

Good evening - I took this shot today of what I think might be a Reddish Egret.  I live on Hilton Head Island, SC and these are not common birds in our area.  He exhibited the behavior of a REEG - jumping around, running, chasing the other Snowy Egrets, flapping his wings, etc.  At first I thought it might be a Great Blue Heron juvie, but the coloring is all wrong and they are usually pretty sedate.  Also, I am very familiar with GBHE.  This guy hopped around for a good hour nonstop... Can anyone confirm or ID, please?

BIRDID-1.JPG-1.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-2.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-3.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-4.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-5.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks so much - that's what I was leaning towards.  Occasionally one has been spotted but I have been here 20 years and never seen one and I am active birder and photographer.  This is better than finding the Bald Eagle today sitting on the beach!

THANKS!

The very active feeding style, in which the bird runs around with its wings out to cast shadows over the water, is also very indicative of Reddish Egret.

11 hours ago, cruise791@aol.com said:

Thanks so much - that's what I was leaning towards.  Occasionally one has been spotted but I have been here 20 years and never seen one and I am active birder and photographer.  This is better than finding the Bald Eagle today sitting on the beach!

THANKS!

You did put a tracker on him so the rest of us in SC can find him easily, right?

Great bird.  Congrats!

• Like 1