Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses. Probably because very few people know enough to answer you. I certainly am not confident IDing these species, beyond by range - unless I hear a distinctly disyllabic call.

Yes this call is monosyllabic, which is not standard for Cordilleran but occurs fairly regularly. The "kink" typical of Pacific-slope is very weak, if at all present, in this recording - hence a very "straight" spectrogram.

It definitely seems promising for Cordilleran to me, but I just don't know enough about IDing these species to be confident it isn't Pacific-slope.

I'm interested to see what the outcome / final verdict on this bird will be! (Hopefully it isn't one of those birds where there is no final verdict.... I'll take a common species over a lack of closure any day).

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses. Probably because very few people know enough to answer you. I certainly am not confident IDing these species, beyond by range - unless I hear a distinctly disyllabic call.

Yes this call is monosyllabic, which is not standard for Cordilleran but occurs fairly regularly. The "kink" typical of Pacific-slope is very weak, if at all present, in this recording - hence a very "straight" spectrogram.

It definitely seems promising for Cordilleran to me, but I just don't know enough about IDing these species to be confident it isn't Pacific-slope.

I'm interested to see what the outcome / final verdict on this bird will be! (Hopefully it isn't one of those birds where there is no final verdict.... I'll take a common species over a lack of closure any day).

We will se what the reviewer says. They bred there 2 years ago, and the person who I was bursting with earlier had one singing 1/5 of a mile away. I’m pretty confident, just wanted to hear another’s opinion.