Whatbird Community
warezaholic

Interspecies behavior question

For 13 years in downriver Detroit I was revisted every summer by both a Male Cardinal AND a male Blue Jay. Nearly every day, each summer, both males would spend a long time "side by side" on the tall light pole in my yard! 

Is this normal for the males birds of 2 different species of birds to form such a long term relationship??

I have not heard of this happening with these particular species, but we've noticed that certain species like to hang out with other certain species.  Perhaps they both just preferred that perch.  By the way, Blue Jays are not sexually dimorphic, meaning you can not tell if they are male or female by looking at them.

Keep in mindthis went on for several years. They always seemed to be completely aware of each other! When one decided to fly away they both went the exact same direction. 

They seemed to behave like mates!

I sat on my front porch daily and in my mind, admired them because I live in a mixed race family and would wonder why people of different species (races) have such difficulties being so "socially accepted"!

On 6/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Aveschapines said:

@warezaholic I moved this here so you'll get more answers quickly and keep the other thread on topic. Interesting observations!

How did you determine that the Blue Jay was a male? There is no plumage differences in the sexes of Blue Jay.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm 65yo michigander and "I think" I can tell!

If I'm right I see 2 distinct differences. The male Jay has higher contrast, blue to white, and has a well defined crown feather set. Not to omit that screeching call.

45 minutes ago, warezaholic said:

If I'm right I see 2 distinct differences. The male Jay has higher contrast, blue to white, and has a well defined crown feather set. Not to omit that screeching call.

Blue Jays are monomorphic, meaning both males and females are visually identical. Even in the hand, there is no measurement or color difference that can sex birds outside of the female's brood patch during the breeding season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, warezaholic said:

While you may have opbserved thses differences, you'd need independent confirmation that they are males/females to be able to say they are markers for sex. Otherwise it could just be minor differences between individuals.

• Like 1

Thank you for that, I had no idea! I was under the impression that the females had a duller color!

Why did they spend so many hours sitting side by side? 

Posted (edited)

Funny Charlie!  I guess I may have jumped to a conclusion.  At least I had the male cardinal ID correct. LOL 

Edited by warezaholic

36 minutes ago, warezaholic said:

Thank you for that, I had no idea! I was under the impression that the females had a duller color!

That's true for many species; in some cases the females are more colorful (Belted Kingfishers) or simply very different colors (Red-Winged Blackbirds), but in lot of species male and females look the same, like Blue Jays, at least for humans! Apparently in some cases there are differences that birds' visual apparatus allow them to see but humans can't. But anyway in lots of species there's no way to tell, at least not just by looking at them. But like any animal individual birds are different, and sometimes you can recognize individuals if you spend enough time with them.

Funny Charlie!  I guess I may have jumped to a conclusion. 

I'm not at all a bird buff! I'm just an average family man. I support and respect those of you that take an interest in wildlife. My handicap keeps my natures education is limited to documentaries. I haven't seen many of those about common American birds. 

I'll keep an eye out!

Thanks and farewell 

Posted (edited)

By the way; if the Jay was a male or female,  what would be the significance of them spending so many days together on a 12 inch perch over several years?

Can a bird be color blind?

Edited by warezaholic