Whatbird Community
Rick98

Is this a juvenile Green Heron?

I apologize for the poorer quality image, but this guy was chirping and moving through the reeds at Sunset Park, Corvallis Oregon about 9:15am in the morning.

I had previously asked about a larger bird that this forum identified as a Green Heron and wondered if this was a younger one. The beak has a little curvature and I couldn't tell exactly what the feet looked like, but here is the image anyway.

Any help on identifying this beautiful bird will be appreciated.

Thank you!

P1140343.JPG

11 minutes ago, Avery said:

Lucky! I have been within 5 feet of one and wasn't able to see it.

Then how do you know you were within five feet?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Then how do you know you were within five feet?

I was standing right next to the patch of dense reeds it was hiding in, as it was loudly grunting. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1

Absolutely a Virginia Rail. In general birds keep bill shape from a young age, and Green Herons have straight bills.

14 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

This is a juvenile Green Heron

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/246706241#_ga=2.206243795.1727884512.1593483325-334541348.1399337695

You can always check the eBird/Macualay photo archive for such things, just don't take the reported age and sex as gospel -- it's very often (usually?) incorrect.

Ah, I see!  Tony's "This..." refers to the link he posted, not to the bird in the original photo.

Misquoting Daffy Duck, "Direct object trouble!"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

This is a juvenile Green Heron

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/246706241#_ga=2.206243795.1727884512.1593483325-334541348.1399337695

You can always check the eBird/Macualay photo archive for such things, just don't take the reported age and sex as gospel -- it's very often (usually?) incorrect.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Then someone needs to tell Cornell it's not a Virginia Rail.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Virginia_Rail/id

Virginia Rail Adult (Virginia)

I believe he is showing what a juvenile green heron looks like. Not saying this bird is one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

I believe he is showing what a juvenile green heron looks like. Not saying this bird is one. 

Yeah, I just figured that out.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Ah, I see!  Tony's "This..." refers to the link he posted, not to the bird in the original photo.

Misquoting Daffy Duck, "Direct object trouble!"

I read Tony's post last night and read it the same way as you did, Charlie. I thought Tony was disputing the Rail ID and referring to the bird in question when he stated "This is a juvenile Green Heron". 

14 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I read Tony's post last night and read it the same way as you did, Charlie. I thought Tony was disputing the Rail ID and referring to the bird in question when he stated "This is a juvenile Green Heron". 

Did the same as the rest of you but caught my own mistake. He just needed one of these 👇   in his post.    :classic_laugh:

• Like 2