Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tony Leukering

Mexican Duck elevated... FINALLY!

Posted (edited)

Just letting folks know that the checklist committee of the American Ornithological Society has published this year's supplement to the "Check-list" and has elevated Mexican Duck to species status. Interestingly, the genetic work that finally got this change accepted by AOS strongly suggests that there are two species of Mottled Ducks. Unfortunately for South Carolinians and Georgians, the introduced birds are a hybrid swarm, so if the Mottled Ducks get split -- and that split was the deepest among Mallard, Am. Black Duck, the Mottleds, and Mexican, those two states may not be able to count either. Unfortunately, they've been invading northeast Florida and could come into contact with Florida Mottled Ducks in the very near future. Since that species/subspecies is already doing so poorly....

Edited by Tony Leukering
typo
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Well it's not finally, it's again, I suppose.

Also, while not officially recognized before, I feel like the ubiquity of eBird among the birding community functionally made this species countable previous to this announcement. To most, this probably won't change much.

Edited by Benjamin

I'm not a biologist, but I'm surprised that the study they based this on avoided the contact zone deliberately.  That seems like a strange way to justify a split.