Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

My backyard in Lexington County, central SC, 03 July 20.  Typical suburban birder's backyard, lots of pines and river birch, bunch of feeders and baths.

Chipping Sparrows are about the only ones to expect in this area in the summer.  I've never seen a non-adult but I think that's what I have.  I see an orangish bill and legs, lots of fine streaking all the way down the chest, a definite eye line with no ring, a white belly and vent, and what I unfortunately can only refer to as 'generic sparrow-like wing markings' (no bold or unusual colors or dominate markings) :classic_blink:

Sorry, these are the only shots.  I wasn't birding as much as trying to get comfortable with my camera (again / still).  I swear this thing use to focus much more sharply.

Thanks.  Happy Independence Day weekend for those it applies to, and a good weekend to those it doesn't!

image.png.7cd6b27e3edbb5ed1af4a03dfb4af3f0.png

image.png

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

You got it!

I would have been grateful for confirmation it was a sparrow of any kind, and not that the bird was a thrush.  The adult sparrows expected per the county bar charts don't have orange bills and fine streaks, so the only sparrows left were non-adults (scrupulously avoiding the terms 'juvenile', 'immature' and 'sub-adult' :classic_blush:).  Chippings seem the best place to start.

Thanks.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

(scrupulously avoiding the terms 'juvenile', 'immature' and 'sub-adult' :classic_blush:)

In saying that you have avoided them you have not avoided them.:classic_huh:

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

In saying that you have avoided them you have not avoided them.:classic_huh:

One day I'll get them straight.  Tomorrow is either Audubon - Silver Bluff (Augusta GA) or Congaree NP (Columbia SC) followed by three auto races.  Maybe between the two races on Sunday?

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

One day I'll get them straight.  Tomorrow is either Audubon - Silver Bluff (Augusta GA) or Congaree NP (Columbia SC) followed by three auto races.  Maybe between the two races on Sunday?

I need a translator.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kevin said:

I need a translator.

Sorry, it was a bit late.  I meant that I was planning on birding at one of those locations this morning, watch the tube, and not worry about learning the differences between 'immature', 'juvenile', 'sub-adult', and any other terms used for birds that have not reached maturity.

As it turns out, it's 6 am and already 74 degrees and 85% humidity, so I'm not going anywhere.  🥵 I really want to figure out why the autofocus on this camera is producing shots far less sharp than what it's given me in the past.  That's easier to do on the deck with the computer to upload to than out in the woods.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

As it turns out, it's 6 am and already 74 degrees and 85% humidity, so I'm not going anywhere.  🥵 

The humidity has been bad here, it is 73 put right now, and it will only het hotter fom that.

Yesterday it was 104 out.🥵

11 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

If its in juvenile plumage in its entirety, then its a juvenile. It if is not in juvenile plumage in its entirety, then it is not a juvenile. It's pretty straightforward.

Juv Chipping

Thanks,  Are there established definitions for 'immature' and 'sub-adult'?  If it's not entirely in juvenile plumage and is therefore not a juvenile, what's it called?  "Surly adolescent who would rather be anywhere else"?

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks,  Are there established definitions for 'immature' and 'sub-adult'?  If it's not entirely in juvenile plumage and is therefore not a juvenile, what's it called?  "Surly adolescent who would rather be anywhere else"?

Unfortunately, terms are often used inconsistently. That said, immature generally is inclusive of any non-adult plumage, where 'juvenile' and 'sub-adult' are more precise.

Sub-adult is usually in reference to birds that are several years old, but have not reached their adult plumage. Generally, these are raptors, which can take quite a few years to reach their final plumage.

• Like 2