Whatbird Community

Spotted at 6:30 am on a low bridge wall overlooking Neshaminy Creek in Lower Bucks County. Appears to be the size of a crow. It might be the lighting or the poor quality of the photo itself, but it’s eyes appear as if the bird is an albino?  A bright, and pure white. Only color is on the beak and feet, which were more orange than anything. The bird was perched there at least a few minutes. Just turned and looked as this photo was taken. It was not disturbed. It remained there after I drive away. I havnt seen anything like this on a search of the net.

0BC1952B-6054-44B1-AA13-3FC1A09EBAD5.png

• Like 1

Merlin came up with Rock Pigeon also, citing a wide array of colour, including all white. search here (whatbird) would yield rock pigeon, but only if colour was not used; using colour (all white) did not seem to produce any more relevant result(s).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rlp said:

Merlin came up with Rock Pigeon also, citing a wide array of colour, including all white. search here (whatbird) would yield rock pigeon, but only if colour was not used; using colour (all white) did not seem to produce any more relevant result(s).

Hi. Yes. I tried using color. I also googled for a while. I assumed it was a pigeon, but just wasn’t sure based on the pure lily white color covering each feather. I don’t recall ever seeing an all white pigeon before. The size also threw me. It didn’t seem as “stout” as a pigeon. It appeared taller-closer to a crow. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Could it be a release dove? Otherwise known as a domesticated barbary dove? I know they are a little smaller than a rock pigeon, but it could be a possibility.

It also looks faintly like a gull, if you try hard enough. 😆

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, rock pigeon, common color in homing pigeons, which is what this probably is. Yes, used for releases at weddings, funerals, sporting events, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and the white coloration is probably recessive white, a simple genetic mutation in pigeons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1