Whatbird Community
richardcatero

Which yellow eye-browed black-billed bird

Posted (edited)

The bill looks too dark, pointed and long to me. I think it might be a young oriole of some sort, because of the orange around the bill, and dark tail.

Edited by Avery

Agree that this is not a Dickcissel. I feel like this bird’s bill is too thick to be an Oriole, but I could be wrong. To me this looks similar to a very brightly colored Red-winged Blackbird female 

• Like 3

Weird bird...The bill is too thick for a meadowlark or oriole.  It looks like a strange cross between a Red-winged Blackbird (shape and head pattern) and a Dickcissel (yellow face and thin streaks on the breast).

Posted (edited)

The bird is undoubtedly an Icterid, and I believe that the most likely explanation is Red-winged Blackbird. As others have already pointed out, notice the bill and overall shape of the bird.

The key to this bird, however, is the pattern on the wings/back. Notice that the rufous is on the back of the bird rather than the greater coverts, and the white scalloping on the edges of the greater and median coverts. With the ABA list in mind, Red-winged Blackbird is the only possibility here.

However, (take this with a grain of salt) this bird is strikingly similar to a pale female Unicolored Blackbird, native to a small area in South America.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 1

I'm sure the colors in these photos are more vibrant than in real life, but the weird thing is that it has no streaks on its belly.

• Like 1

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm sure the colors in these photos are more vibrant than in real life, but the weird thing is that it has no streaks on its belly.

I noticed that too, which made me disregard it as a blackbird.

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Sorry, I should clarify. This certainly isn't by any means a regular Red-winged Blackbird, it definitely has a pigment disorder.

Would such a disorder also remove the streaking on the breast, assuming it is a female? I could almost see this bird as a hybrid. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Avery said:

Would such a disorder also remove the streaking on the breast, assuming it is a female? I could almost see this bird as a hybrid. 

I would say no, Dickcissel is in Cardinalidae While Red-winged Blackbird is an icterid. There have been Some weird hybrids though, like that chat x Oriole in Southern California 

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I would say no, Dickcissel is in Cardinalidae While Red-winged Blackbird is an icterid. There have been Some weird hybrids though, like that chat x Oriole in Southern California 

Should have clarified. I meant a hybrid between RWBB and another icterid

3 hours ago, Sneat said:

Agree that this is not a Dickcissel. I feel like this bird’s bill is too thick to be an Oriole, but I could be wrong. To me this looks similar to a very brightly colored Red-winged Blackbird female 

Absolutely correct! A hyperxanthic individual.

• Like 2