Whatbird Community

1-2. Gray Kingbird confirmed. Note the dark face mask and light gray upperparts. Nice find!

3. Eastern Kingbird. It has a fully dark top of the head, unlike the Gray Kingbird.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, akandula said:

1-2. Gray Kingbird confirmed. Note the dark face mask and light gray upperparts. Nice find!

3. Eastern Kingbird. It has a fully dark top of the head, unlike the Gray Kingbird.

Agreed. 

55 minutes ago, akandula said:

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What makes this an EAKI and not an Eastern Phoebe?  

Thanks.

It just is, I don't know how to explain the difference. At least from anything you can see in this photo.

I ask because most EAKI I've seen have more contrast between the dark parts and the light ones.  Blacker black, whiter white with no streaking.  I also don't see any white on the tail tip, although that could be due feather wear or the photo angle.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I ask because most EAKI I've seen have more contrast between the dark parts and the light ones.  Blacker black, whiter white with no streaking.  I also don't see any white on the tail tip, although that could be due feather wear or the photo angle.

Yes, there's some feather on the EAKI's tail. EAPH are just far more compact with daintier bills.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks.

Along with the bill size/shape, there's structural differences between the two species- Eastern Phoebe, being a smaller bird overall has a more 'big-headed' appearance. Just that intuitive and unconscious comparison of head size to body allows me to immediately know that this is a Kingbird.

Additionally, Phoebe would have, at the very least, some weak wing bars or white edges to the coverts.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks.

Both of its parents were EAKIs. 😎

Seriously, though, Eastern Kingbird has a white malar area, Eastern Phoebe a dark one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3