Whatbird Community
goonshine

Sandpipers on Washington Coast

I think the one second to the left is a yellowlegs, but not sure about any of them. Don’t have enough shorebird experience. 

These look like Western Sandpipers. You might have a Semipalmated on the left side but it would be difficult to confirm without additional pictures.

Just now, Phalarope713 said:

These look like Western Sandpipers. You might have a Semipalmated on the left side but it would be difficult to confirm without additional pictures.

I agree. The only one that could possibly be a semi is the one running away from the camera. 

(very much a beginner here). both birds in center look like they could be different, to me.

the background bird: bill seems longer, lighter coloured, possibly a slightly different shape. body colouring seems more uniform light brown. neck looks longer. 

foreground bird: bill seems darker, more triangular. neck seems almost nonexistent. dark tail appears longer. black ring around neck.

there are a few more, subtle, differences, but i find the phrasing to escape me. it's possible what i see is variation among age / binary / individual, and/or due to image / device i am viewing.

hopefully, the experts have answered / will answer all your questions. may you be able to capture an even better picture next time. take care.

• Thanks 1

Zoom in and you can see the 'upturned bill' on #2 is an illusion caused by a dark area of water behind the tip of the bill.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Zoom in and you can see the 'upturned bill' on #2 is an illusion caused by a dark area of water behind the tip of the bill.

Wow, good eye!