Whatbird Community

seen in central nc today. 

FIRSTLY... with regards to Pekin Ducks and Indian Peafowl, both of which ive seen (ducks) and heard (peafowl) around here often, for ebird i assume i categorize the pekins as dom. mallard which this article seems to indicate [https://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domducks.htm] and i suppose i cant count the peafowl at all?

secondly, the bird in the pic seems to be a great crested flycatcher with adult plumage coming in. is this accurate?

IMG_2188 (2).JPG

Posted (edited)

Firstly, yes any domestic breed of Mallard should be put that category on eBird. As far as the peafowl, it's an escapee, so it cannot be counted. There are established populations of Indian Peafowl in Florida which can be counted, but I'm not aware of any in NC.

Your bird is an Eastern Phoebe, notice the brownish plumage overall, small bill, and rusty edges to the coverts.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, insanityslave said:

i swear it looks like there are some yellow feathers coming in on the breast, thats why i thought great crested

Phoebe's can have some yellow as well

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, insanityslave said:

i swear it looks like there are some yellow feathers coming in on the breast, thats why i thought great crested

Zoom in; I think the yellow is a camera artifact.  Some of it runs in perfectly straight lines, at angles that don't seem to match any feather patterns.

Unfortunately, like @Benjamin said, peafowl aren't countable in the Carolinas.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1