Whatbird Community
Aaron

Squeaky/ Chattering Bird call

Bird heard in my yard (Shuswap, BC) coming from a stand of Birches. 
The audio is horrible, as I think I caught the tail end of it it, but if you can hear it makes these soft “squeaking” sounds (maybe more like “eeh” “Eeh”. Then does a chattering call. Been having trouble trying to match it. The second video is the chattering just isolated from the rest. 
I’ve tried turning it into a Yellow-breasted Chat as a pair has been seen in the area, but that’s more just wishful thinking.

Any ideas? I know for a fact this time it’s not a Lazuli bunting!

I hear a House Wren, and that could be what is making those calls, but I could be wrong. I have been tricked by the wrens high pitched notes before, but I had the luxury of seeing the bird sitting on "his" house. I'd wait for a more "western experienced" opinion for a positive ID though.

• Like 1

The chatter part took my thoughts to the last half of a Towhee's song but  I don't think it's quite right.

• Like 1

The high-pitched call reminds me of a fledgling or nestling bird.  Don't remember what species it was when I heard a sound like that, though....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies! It has been baby bird central there with fledglings of all types. House wren could be a possibility, but I haven’t heard them make those “Eeh” sounds before. But who knows 

Though, it’s the sound that is quieter than the high pitched notes, as the high ones aren’t coming from the same bird that made the chattering call as it overlaps the chattering.

It’s like a squeaky “eeeh” that’s repeated  a few times before the chattering calls. The audio is horrible so it quite faint. 

It happens at 6, 8, 15 seconds. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

I think that may be it! I saw my first one here back in May. 

Its funny, listening to the species sounds provided on the Merlin app the calls didn't match up to bullocks, but when I look at the recordings from the county it seems to be a fit.  Probably here to eat my cherries.

Thanks