Whatbird Community

My dad has had this feather for as long as I can remember. He says it’s from a red-tailed hawk, but it doesn’t seem to match any of the pictures I can find on the internet. It’s about 13.5 inches long (~34 cm). I believe he found it somewhere in Oregon, although the exact location and date are unknown. B1924354-ECB3-452D-B5EA-9E7139B5D12A.thumb.jpeg.2973e0e53efd099fe00d861fde565686.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The only thing I can find is a Ring-necked Pheasant.

My feather seems too wide, those pheasant feathers look long and skinny. 
The thing that really confuses me about this feather is how it’s not really striped or barred like most feathers. 

37 minutes ago, Colton V said:

My feather seems too wide, those pheasant feathers look long and skinny. 
The thing that really confuses me about this feather is how it’s not really striped or barred like most feathers. 

That is confusing me too. I have found some pictures of pheasant feathers online, but the only ones that match this feather, without the barring, are significantly smaller.

Posted (edited)

Did some research, I think it’s a peacock flight feather. I think they’re sometimes used for quill pens. Maybe my dad was  lying to me about finding it, or someone dropped it on the ground and he found it and misidentified it. 

Edited by Colton V
  • Like 1