Whatbird Community

The second one is a Red-shouldered Hawk.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I don't think that's the sound Katelyn is asking about, but isn't it a Blue Jay?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I don't think that's the sound Katelyn is asking about, but isn't it a Blue Jay?

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yes there is a Blue Jay in the beginning but that’s not the sound I’m asking for. It’s the one that sort of ascends. 

• Like 1

The first one is a Yellowthroat. The second one makes me think of Orange-crowned Warbler but that can't be it. Maybe a Blackburnian? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Melierax said:

The first one is a Yellowthroat. The second one makes me think of Orange-crowned Warbler but that can't be it. Maybe a Blackburnian? 

Could be. I wish I had seen the bird but I just heard it as I was passing in a canoe. Is there anything that makes this definitely some sort of warbler and not a sparrow of some type? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Katelyn Davis said:

Could be. I wish I had seen the bird but I just heard it as I was passing in a canoe. Is there anything that makes this definitely some sort of warbler and not a sparrow of some type? 

I'm not aware of any sparrow that sounds like that.

Why couldn't the second bird be a Field Sparrow? It's not a Prairie Warbler- the song is not buzzy- and Field Sparrow songs can be very variable.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Benjamin said:

Why couldn't the second bird be a Field Sparrow? It's not a Prairie Warbler- the song is not buzzy- and Field Sparrow songs can be very variable.

I'm not sure the habitat was right. It was on a small forest island in the middle of a lake.