Whatbird Community

Duck sp. (Randall County, Texas) July 12 2020

I can't decide what species this is from Randall County, Texas. I found the individual yesterday and have had a couple thoughts on what it might be but everything I have come up with would be pretty rare. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.08c227735b246099f794fcdcda4a0af7.JPGIMG_0382.thumb.JPG.ed3ad5e9540a2d51174e8589135b0932.JPGIMG_0383.thumb.JPG.980b6d287636740ed7802172f08bc26c.JPG

• Like 1

It's way out of season but one has been spotted regularly this summer at Richland Creek WMA in Freestone County.  I don't know how far away that is from Randall.

https://ebird.org/map/canvas?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=6-7&bmo=6&emo=7&yr=cur

If that is indeed what it is, I'd put it in eBird.  Others will likely want to see it.  Canvasbacks aren't particularly rare but it's definitely unusually for deep summer.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

It's definitely not a Canvasback nor any other diving or dabbling duck- notice how the bird rides in the water, with its rear much higher above the water than the front of the bird.

It's some type of juvenile goose, and I'm guessing it's at least partially a domestic breed due to the tail and overall plumage, perhaps Swan Goose?

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 2