Whatbird Community
Lonnie

Building a Bird Blind in central Illinois

Has anyone ever built a temporary bird blind?  I am thinking about building one this weekend.  Purchased a couple of camouflage nets on eBay.  I have 4 steel fence posts and a fence post driver.  Clothes line can also be used.  I have different ideas for different locations.  The blind will be temporary and not destructive to property.  Has anyone ever tried something like this?  Would like to hear the thoughts and opinions of others. 

Thank you, 

Lonnie

I haven't used steel posts and a driver in a while but as I recall, it isn't the quietest operation.  Do you plan on installing the blind on one day and then using it the next?  You may scare off more birds putting it in than you would by just standing there quietly.

You can buy pop-up blinds for under $75.

• Like 2

Hi Charlie, 

You are right about the noise of driving down steel fence posts.  I found a place in a remote area where I live.  Have been there 6 or 7 times within the past 4 weeks.  It is beside a forest, a creek bank, and about 30 feet in front of a dead tree.  I have 3 or 4 locations in mind.   Not exactly sure where I will drive in the posts.  I also have a clothes line to use.  

Have also seen the small pop up blinds for under $75.00 like you mentioned. 

Have noticed that when I set still in a lawn chair for a few minutes.  The birds will begin to appear.  Just curious to see what it would be like if I were somewhat hidden.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, Lonnie said:

Have noticed that when I set still in a lawn chair for a few minutes.  The birds will begin to appear.  Just curious to see what it would be like if I were somewhat hidden.  

I don't know if you've heard of a national birding event called the 'Big Sit'.  While it's an annual event, the concept applies any time.  Pick a spot, sit quietly, and wait to see what comes to you.  

Posted (edited)

I've used several homemade "blinds".  I've used a pop-up kids house, an outdoor table turned on its side (took photos through the umbrella hole 😆), and currently I have an old kids fort covered in a piece of carpet by my pond that I'll sit in every once in a while (a Solitary Sandpiper came really close to that one!).  Anything works, really...

Edited by The Bird Nuts

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

And there's the ever-popular 'car blind'.  I've taken plenty of photos and notched plenty of lifers leaning out the window.

Yeah, although I often have a hard time getting good photos out of car windows because the heat coming off the car (if it is on or had been on) causes distortion.