Whatbird Community

Parasitic jaeger? (or wishful thinking

This is a young foresters term. It’s the only sf bay breeding tern with that dark check in juvenile plumage. I live in the area, and I get all three Jaeger annually. Parasitic are the easiest from shore. Check gull flocks on the ocean, and if you have a scope, it’s fairly easy to find them. I’ve had the most luck in September and October to find them from shore. 

• Like 5

On 7/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

Parasitic are the easiest from shore. Check gull flocks on the ocean, and if you have a scope, it’s fairly easy to find them. I’ve had the most luck in September and October to find them from shore. 

Or, given that this is in Santa Clara county, they may want to get a Jaeger INSIDE San Francisco Bay... Steve Rottenborn has had both PAJA and POJA in that area of Santa Clara, so it is possible (then again, he is ridiculously good).

I have noticed that sometimes gull swarms follow fishing boats in through the Golden Gate, although numbers drop off as the boat gets farther into the bay... this is best observed from Emeryville Marina... I will be attempting to take advantage of this phenomenon to get an East Bay Jaeger in Sept.

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Or, given that this is in Santa Clara county, they may want to get a Jaeger INSIDE San Francisco Bay... Steve Rottenborn has had both PAJA and POJA in that area of Santa Clara, so it is possible (then again, he is ridiculously good).

I have noticed that sometimes gull swarms follow fishing boats in through the Golden Gate, although numbers drop off as the boat gets farther into the bay... this is best observed from Emeryville Marina... I will be attempting to take advantage of this phenomenon to get an East Bay Jaeger in Sept.

My dad has a blast and when we head out on mini-pelagics, we often get Jaeger’s all the way in to point Bonita, so if there is a big fishing boat, it’s definitely possible.