Whatbird Community

Discussion Topic: What birds do you get at your feeders?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Costa's Hummingbirds, Xantus's Hummers, Gila Woodpeckers, Gilded Flickers, Lesser Goldfinches, Northern Cardinals, Pyyrrhuloxias, House Sparrows, House Finches, Orange-crowned Warblers, White-winged D

How do I get an Erica?   

Simple. You put out Erica food!!

Posted Images

Birds on/under the feeders in south central Michigan

Hairy, Downy, Red-headed and Red-bellied Woodpeckers.  Northern Flicker.  White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Wild Turkey.  Mourning Dove.  Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  Blue Jay.  American Crow.  Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse.  Carolina Wren.  European Starling.  Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher.  House and Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch.  Chipping Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, Field Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Eastern Towhee.  Orchard and Baltimore Oriole.  Red-winged Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, Common Grackle.  Yellow-rumpled Warbler.  Northern Cardinal.  Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Indigo Bunting.  

My regular feeder visitors:

Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, House Sparrow, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, House Finch.

Uncommon:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Carolina Chickadee, American Tree Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, European Starling, American Goldfinch.

Rare: 

Northern Bobwhite, Mourning Dove, Eastern Bluebird, Clay-colored Sparrow, Pine Siskin.

Raptors:

Mississippi Kite, Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk, American Kestrel, Prairie Falcon.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:48 AM, IKLland said:

we have so many mice and rats I didn’t want them to come for the fallen seeds

May I ask what type of environment you're in?  

I'm in a development of single homes that adjoins hundreds of acres of farm fields and a few dozen acres of trees and wetlands.  I'm very close to those fields and wetlands but have never had a problem with rodents at my feeders.  The ground feeding birds and the squirrels do a good job of cleaning up fallen seeds.

And these metal buckets will keep mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. out of your seed.  (No promises about raccoons, opossums, or bears!)  The 6-gallon will hold 10- and 14-pound bags of seed, the 10-gallon will hold 20- and 30-pound bags.  They can be used in a garage or storage shed as they are.  If you want to use them outside (I do), get a tube of caulk and seal around the top handle and they'll be watertight.  Three years and no rodents, rust, or leaks.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-6-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-10-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail-2220185

Edited by Charlie Spencer
9 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

And these metal buckets will keep mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. out of your seed.  (No promises about raccoons, opossums, or bears!)  The 6-gallon will hold 10- and 14-pound bags of seed, the 10-gallon will hold 20- and 30-pound bags.  They can be used in a garage or storage shed as they are.  If you want to use them outside (I do), get a tube of caulk and seal around the top handle and they'll be watertight.  Three years and no rodents, rust, or leaks.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-6-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-10-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail-2220185

I ordered a tray to catch it under it, but I’m in a suburb

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I ordered a tray to catch it under it, but I’m in a suburb

He’s talking about ways to store the seed. For the fallen seed, we’ve had problems with rats in the past, and we ended up taking down the feeder for about a week or so. In any case, fallen seeds are pretty much inevitable. 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Avery said:

He’s talking about ways to store the seed. For the fallen seed, we’ve had problems with rats in the past, and we ended up taking down the feeder for about a week or so. In any case, fallen seeds are pretty much inevitable. 

Our Chickens take care of the fallen seeds under the feeder. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update: now I regularly get mourning dove, lesser goldfinch, once and a,Eric an goldfinch tagged along, house finch, California towhee, song sparrow, white crowned sparrow, orange crowned warbler, bewick’s wren, and for hummers I get Anna’s, Allen’s, and once, a costas

19 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Update: now I regularly get mourning dove, lesser goldfinch, once and a,Eric an goldfinch tagged along, house finch, California towhee, song sparrow, white crowned sparrow, orange crowned warbler, bewick’s wren, and for hummers I get Anna’s, Allen’s, and once, a costas

You get an Eric at your feeder? Wow, lucky!

2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Maybe for you... Here Erics can be an annoyance. Like House Sparrow where you are. 

Yeah, I gotcha. Maybe it’s the seed you put out? Checking their range, Erics haven’t reached my county yet.

3 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

What's an Eric??? :classic_huh:

A typo, see below.

30 minutes ago, IKLland said:

9 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Yeah, I gotcha. Maybe it’s the seed you put out? Checking their range, Erics haven’t reached my county yet.

It must be. I never see them at my neighbors feeder. Now that I think of it, I've only seen Erics at the salted sunflower seed packets.

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It must be. I never see them at my neighbors feeder. Now that I think of it, I've only seen Erics at the salted sunflower seed packets.

I’ve seen a few scavenging left over hotdogs.

Costa's Hummingbirds, Xantus's Hummers, Gila Woodpeckers, Gilded Flickers, Lesser Goldfinches, Northern Cardinals, Pyyrrhuloxias, House Sparrows, House Finches, Orange-crowned Warblers, White-winged Doves, Common ground Doves, Ruddy ground Doves, Hooded Orioles, Scott's Orioles, California Valley Quails, Gray Thrashers, Green-tailed Towhees, Verdins.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, BigOly said:

Costa's Hummingbirds, Xantus's Hummers, Gila Woodpeckers, Gilded Flickers, Lesser Goldfinches, Northern Cardinals, Pyyrrhuloxias, House Sparrows, House Finches, Orange-crowned Warblers, White-winged Doves, Common ground Doves, Ruddy ground Doves, Hooded Orioles, Scott's Orioles, California Valley Quails, Gray Thrashers, Green-tailed Towhees, Verdins.

Wow! Interesting list!