Whatbird Community

We've had the bird feeders since 2015, and this season isn't following any of the normal patterns.

I was at the house from June 25th, through July 5th.  It was very unusual that no American Goldfinches were seen at all.  I had to replace the suet (the feeder holds two packets) every two days, because huge Blue Jays (bigger than I’ve ever seen) were attacking it all day.  The normal seed bird feeder was also emptying at a raid pace as the normal cast of characters (Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmouse, Black-capped Chickadee, Mourning Dove) were very busy.

I’ve been back at the house since Sunday, July 12th and things have died down considerably.  I finally saw two (but only two) juvenile American Goldfinches, but not much else is consistently feeding.  I filled both the main bird feeder and Suet feeder on Monday morning.  I’ve seen some birds at the main feeder, but it’s still filled almost to the top.  There is much less Blue Jay traffic at the suet feeder.  The main consumers are Downy Woodpeckers.  After the fourth full day, I’d estimate that the suet is around 70% full.  Quite a contrast to the depletion rate of a few weeks ago.

There are more birds around.  I noticed a ton a Grackles (not sure if common or boat-tailed) on top of a tree on our property.  Presumably, there is a nest up there.  The problem is that unlike previous years, none of them are visiting our feeders.

Why are we seeing so much less traffic at our feeders?  Is it possible that some of our neighbors put up a lot of feeders and many of the birds have gone elsewhere?

Edited by dragon49
22 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

All I can tell you is that it's normal for activity to drop off at my feeders at this time of year.  Consumption of all food types is down the last couple of weeks, but especially peanuts and suet.

Thanks.

When the dog days of summer hit, the only birds I see on a regular basis are my year round resident birds that live in the immediate vicinity. It usually doesn’t pick back up for me until the first cool snap comes in during October. 

• Like 1

I live in Wv 

and it’s just opposite here with the golden finches  I have a lot here  cardinals , blue jays, red headed wood peckers ,  blue birds , chickadees , a few more  but as far as dropping off  from feeding they have her but just the blue jays and cardinals, bluebirds  took there babies and left. Idk if it’s the heat  or what  bc it’s been in the 90’s here for last couple wks . But my finches are still feeding good from feeders. and my hummers are   Here everyday but somedays there are a few more than other days .  But still enjoy  watching them .

• 1 month later...

Great news!

The American Goldfinches are back.  Looks like the ones in my area hatched late this season.  Tiny, tiny ones (not sure if appropriate to call them "hatchlings," as they can fly, buy they are the smallest American Goldfinches  I've ever seen) have been all over the main grain feeder for the last three days or so.  

• Like 1
On 8/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, dragon49 said:

Great news!

The American Goldfinches are back.

That's not what I'll be saying when they show up for the winter.

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

Why?  Don't you like them?

Not when 400 of them show up at your feeder for five moths, eating BOSS as fast as I can put it out.

• Like 1

I would love to have that many at my feeder . I would stock up at that time if they come like that all the time 😂😂😂😂

I wish I could get rid of the woodpeckers they run my golden finch off  and they don’t stop eating and pecking a hole in my porch to hide the seeds in . Then the smaller type eats my humming bird food keeps my Hummers  away 

On 8/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, Leandz said:

I wish I could get rid of the woodpeckers they run my golden finch off  and they don’t stop eating and pecking a hole in my porch to hide the seeds in .

Do you put out suet?  The woodpeckers in my yard prefer it over sunflower. 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, Kevin said:

Not when 400 of them show up at your feeder for five moths, eating BOSS as fast as I can put it out.

Sounds like my House Finches.  They carry on like a bunch of kids who just went to their first pro wrasslin' match.

Yes I have it out all around it seems they don’t care much for it  as well as sunflower seeds. 

Then the smaller ones drink all my hummingbird feed  . I wouldn’t mind them if they wouldn’t keep my other birds away . And they don’t stop until it’s all gone .

2 hours ago, Leandz said:

Aww they are so pretty  mine look about that size but just a little diff in markings must be a diff kind of goldenfinch there than here .

There's only one goldfinch species in the eastern US.  You have the same American Goldfinch species in WV that dragon49 has in NY.   It's possible you're seeing immature ones or ones that have already started to change colors for the winter.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Goldfinch

On 8/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, Leandz said:

I wish I could get rid of the woodpeckers ... Then the smaller type eats my humming bird food keeps my Hummers  away 

Would you describe the woodpeckers that are eating your hummingbird food?  I think Downy Woodpeckers will do this.  Do they look like this?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Downy_Woodpecker

Thanks.

No these are mature ones my females change to a brownish color more than a yellow and green  now the males are yellow with black wings .  We may have same but mine look sorta diff . I will take a pic and send .to show you .  Thanks 

Yes these are the ones that’s eating my hummingbird food 

but I have also seen the big ones with the red head  on my hummingbird feeders a few times also . Don’t know if they was just checking it out  or what .