Whatbird Community
tsch

A type of wren, or just LBJ?

Been roosting outside an outbuilding here the last several nights alone. About the size of a sparrow, straight bill about an inch long, flattish head

20180621_205156.jpg

Edited by tsch

Carolina Wrens are known for roosting in the corners of buildings with their back feathers puffed out like this.  Remember to include location so we can rule out other species.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for not mentioning my location. I am  in Mandeville, Louisiana.

Carolina Wren was one of the possibles to me, based on the the glimpse I felt I had of the bill and a white stripe on the head and matching to the picture here 

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/677/overview/Carolina_Wren.aspx

The roosting behavior you identify from this pic is exactly what we have seen the last several nights. It surprises me such a small bird was roost solo.

• Like 1

If that's the top end of a 2" x 4" that he's perched on, that's relatively spacious.  I've see them jam themselves in to smaller areas.  My parents have roll-up blinds for their patio, and of course they roll up unevenly.  CAWRs regularly tuck themselves into concavity at one end of the roll.  

• Like 2

I have 2 perched on my porch top of pillars on tiny wood space. Last 2 nights I had one. Now I have 2 birds on each pillar. Super cute and more than welcome to eat my bugs! Love hearing them In the trees. Mandeville, LA April 2019.