Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Birds of North America #2


Message added by Kevin,

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Whoaa!! The goose on the foreground right is a Barnacle x Canada Goose or maybe Barnacle x Cackling Goose hybrid! Very cool! Probably rarer than the Barnacle Goose...

 

It is a Barnacle x Cackler. There's a good number of records of these birds in the Northeast.

For example from a couple weeks ago: https://ebird.org/checklist/S75007939

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick question... I have pictures of birds that can be found in the U.S. that this list needs, but the photos were not taken in the U.S. I shouldn't use those, right?

Also, can someone update the Google Doc?

Edited by Avery
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Google docs list is not very reliable ... it needs to be updated. 

Just for the record these 3 are already on the list... Sora, Virginia Rail, Ridgeway's Rail ...

291 Sora

292 Virgina Rail

374 Ridgeway's Rail

so they should not be counted again...that being noted the next number up should be 404.

 

I have an on-going list which I started at the beginning that I will be happy to share if anyone wants it... anyone interested could just send me a private email.  ?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Whoaa!! The goose on the foreground right is a Barnacle x Canada Goose or maybe Barnacle x Cackling Goose hybrid! Very cool! Probably rarer than the Barnacle Goose...

 

 

15 hours ago, Benjamin said:

It is a Barnacle x Cackler. There's a good number of records of these birds in the Northeast.

For example from a couple weeks ago: https://ebird.org/checklist/S75007939

Yes it was Barnacle x Cackling. There were actually 3 of the hybrids & they were in the same general area for a couple years in a row always with the Barnacle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2020 at 8:42 AM, Avery said:

Just a quick question... I have pictures of birds that can be found in the U.S. that this list needs, but the photos were not taken in the U.S. I shouldn't use those, right?

Also, can someone update the Google Doc?

According to the first post, the pictures should be taken in the ABA area.  "Specifically, the area encompassed is the 50 United States[,] Canada, the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon, and adjacent waters to a distance of 200 miles from land or half the distance to a neighboring country, whichever is less."

(I didn't notice till now that Washington DC is missing.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

According to the first post, the pictures should be taken in the ABA area.  "Specifically, the area encompassed is the 50 United States[,] Canada, the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon, and adjacent waters to a distance of 200 miles from land or half the distance to a neighboring country, whichever is less."

(I didn't notice till now that Washington DC is missing.)

And note that as of now, it’s the “Old” ABA area (even though it used to be different 20 years ago, so that’s the Classical area now?) But Hawaii isn’t included in this topic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

And note that as of now, it’s the “Old” ABA area (even though it used to be different 20 years ago, so that’s the Classical area now?) But Hawaii isn’t included in this topic. 

OK, Hawaii seemed to be in bounds or in doubt in the first post, and I didn't read farther than that.  So the area for this thread is the continental U.S. and Canada including their territorial waters, and of course St. Pierre et Miquelon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...