Whatbird Community

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

282. Blackburnian Warbler 283. Canada Warbler 284. Cerulean Warbler 285. Chestnut-sided Warbler 286. Connecticut Warbler  

427. Gyrfalcon 428. Black-tailed Godwit 429. Northern Wheatear 430. Sedge Wren 431. Fork-tailed Flycatcher  

Lets get the scoters out of the way 404 Surf Scoter 405 White-winged Scoter 406 Black Scoter

Posted Images

On 10/12/2020 at 10:32 PM, stitch58 said:

Anyone remember how many we had in the original thread?

From what @chipperatl said the one before the forum crashed in 18 there was over 750 species. The last one had 316.

• Like 1

Whoaa!! The goose on the foreground right is a Barnacle x Canada Goose or maybe Barnacle x Cackling Goose hybrid! Very cool! Probably rarer than the Barnacle Goose...

On 8/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, stitch58 said:

Barnacle.jpg

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Whoaa!! The goose on the foreground right is a Barnacle x Canada Goose or maybe Barnacle x Cackling Goose hybrid! Very cool! Probably rarer than the Barnacle Goose...

It is a Barnacle x Cackler. There's a good number of records of these birds in the Northeast.

For example from a couple weeks ago: https://ebird.org/checklist/S75007939

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 1

Just a quick question... I have pictures of birds that can be found in the U.S. that this list needs, but the photos were not taken in the U.S. I shouldn't use those, right?

Also, can someone update the Google Doc?

Edited by Avery
8 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

These are on the needs list:

401 Sora

79794721.thumb.JPG.af8b364812b7194e05c5bd86c5679feb.JPG

402 Ridgway's Rail

202077671.thumb.JPG.6b0b0e2cf2ff0d52069b0678be8f87fc.JPG

403 Virginia Rail

182713381.thumb.JPG.255fd1e3dc32d6b44db64e49e555e7ac.JPG

The needs list has been really outdated. Use the first link. I know most of those rails are up. I’m not sure about the scorers though. 

The Google docs list is not very reliable ... it needs to be updated. 

Just for the record these 3 are already on the list... Sora, Virginia Rail, Ridgeway's Rail ...

291 Sora

292 Virgina Rail

374 Ridgeway's Rail

so they should not be counted again...that being noted the next number up should be 404.

I have an on-going list which I started at the beginning that I will be happy to share if anyone wants it... anyone interested could just send me a private email.  🙂

23 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

15 hours ago, Benjamin said:

It is a Barnacle x Cackler. There's a good number of records of these birds in the Northeast.

For example from a couple weeks ago: https://ebird.org/checklist/S75007939

Yes it was Barnacle x Cackling. There were actually 3 of the hybrids & they were in the same general area for a couple years in a row always with the Barnacle.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:42 AM, Avery said:

Just a quick question... I have pictures of birds that can be found in the U.S. that this list needs, but the photos were not taken in the U.S. I shouldn't use those, right?

Also, can someone update the Google Doc?

According to the first post, the pictures should be taken in the ABA area.  "Specifically, the area encompassed is the 50 United States[,] Canada, the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon, and adjacent waters to a distance of 200 miles from land or half the distance to a neighboring country, whichever is less."

(I didn't notice till now that Washington DC is missing.)

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

According to the first post, the pictures should be taken in the ABA area.  "Specifically, the area encompassed is the 50 United States[,] Canada, the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon, and adjacent waters to a distance of 200 miles from land or half the distance to a neighboring country, whichever is less."

(I didn't notice till now that Washington DC is missing.)

And note that as of now, it’s the “Old” ABA area (even though it used to be different 20 years ago, so that’s the Classical area now?) But Hawaii isn’t included in this topic. 

12 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

And note that as of now, it’s the “Old” ABA area (even though it used to be different 20 years ago, so that’s the Classical area now?) But Hawaii isn’t included in this topic. 

OK, Hawaii seemed to be in bounds or in doubt in the first post, and I didn't read farther than that.  So the area for this thread is the continental U.S. and Canada including their territorial waters, and of course St. Pierre et Miquelon?