Whatbird Community

Bird with yellow belly

There were a few of these hopping around in a Mimosa tree this morning in Lido Beach NY. I couldn't get a clear shot showing the wings. I think it looks sort of like a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, except that it doesn't appear to have an eye ring and I think it's about a month early for them to appear here this far south.

I'm stymied.

x01.jpg

Thanks,

FWIW, I checked eBird and the only Orchard Orioles reported at that location in the past 5 years were a few in May. There were a few more Baltimore Orioles reported in May, and a few in June and July.

Note: This is a nature preserve that is mostly salt marsh. I've been looking in the foliage between the parking lot and the marsh. Maybe the real birders are overlooking some good bird habitat, such as this Mimosa which is in a generally-unvisited corner and might be the only one in the preserve. It has quite a bit of bird activity.

Also worth noting that Orchard prefers more grassy, weedy areas overall with a few trees while Baltimore likes forest edges and denser stands of trees. So immediately habitat should key you in to Orchard as opposed to Baltimore.

Edited by Benjamin

Thanks Benjamin,

The habitat is more more like the first one you describe, with no big old trees. The appearance of an OROR, though, is surprising to me, given that none have been none reported here since May 2017. Perhaps it was just out to explore the neighborhood. There was one reported about 4 miles away on June 9 in a different habitat. Of course, many birders do not post their sightings on eBird; either because they are not interested in doing so, or because they justifiably fear that reports of rare birds will bring people, not all of whom take care to avoid stressing the birds, particularly during nesting season.