Whatbird Community

has anyone else having problems finding BOSS,.  I used to get it in 40 lb bags but until yesterday...could only get 10 lbs bags and they were $$.  Yesterday finally saw 20 lb bags and got two.  One 20 lb bag was only about $2 more that a 10 lb bag and two them were just about the same price difference from a 40 lb bag.  May be just in this area but have been to stored in about a 25 mile radius from where I am in Baltimore County MD.  Did not go to any specialty stores...they are $$$$

thank you

Try tractor supply. 10$ plus tax for 40 pounds, last time I got some about a three weeks ago.

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen any sign of a shortage here in central SC.  I believe birding in general is on the rise as people are looking for entertainment during COVID shutdowns.  Maybe that's driving up BOSS sales in some areas.  I've been to a couple of Lowe's where they had seed and feeders displayed prominently just inside the front door; I'd never seen them in that location before.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

thank you all. must be a local thing.  Looked up BOSS at the nearest Tractor Supply and it was almost $18 before tax....think I should move

On 7/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, jcarscadden said:

thank you all. must be a local thing.  Looked up BOSS at the nearest Tractor Supply and it was almost $18 before tax....think I should move

$18 for 40 pounds sounds pretty reasonable to me.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

$18 for 40 pounds sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Yep, that's a normal price at Tractor Supply here.  We usually wait for sales ($16) and stock up as it seems to last a long time.  Sometimes Walmart has better prices, sometimes not...

I work for Home Depot.  At least here we've had trouble getting any birdseed at all into the stores.  I'm  not sure if its a transportation issue or manufacturing issue, but the national and international supply chain is pretty screwed right now, so it could be either.

• Like 1

thank you for your response ruthcatrin....things are still short around here.  I was able to get a 20# bag of BOSS the other day but when I went back for suet dough - they were out again and out of suet dough and most kinds of suet.. This was walmart but I checked Lowes and Homedepot and one other place .same story.  Will just have to see how thing progress...

but thanks again..interesting

• Like 1

Have you considered ordering on line and having it delivered?  I think Walmart will deliver for free with a minimum order value.

I'm still fascinated by this apparently regional shortage,  I haven't had a bit of trouble getting 20- or 40-pound bags at Wally, Lowes, or Tractor Supply all summer.

The fact that it appears to be regional makes me think its more a transportation issue.  But its hard to tell for sure without actually talking to the vendors.  I know my store has had at least SOME birdseed in for most of the last month, but what bird seed has varied, and its selling out just as fast as we get it in.

I know for fact that several manufacturers (of non-birding products) have completely empty warehouses and their manufacturing lines are running full blast, everything is coming straight off the line and go onto a truck and right into the stores, and they STILL can't get the shelves full (and no, they aren't cleaning products either, I'm talking pesticides and hardscape and tools!).  They've even reduced their product line down to the base items, converting the other lines over to produce those few items, and they STILL can't get the shelves full of those items.  Based on current sales, current manufacturing trends, and current supply chain issues, those manufacturers are hoping to be caught up by the end of the year, but every one I've talked to has said that its a hope, and not a guarantee.  The one who manufactures hardscape products is probably correct, if only because sales OUGHT to finally die back once the northern part of the country gets snow.  The rest of them?  Don't hold your breath.

Thank you all

Charlie Spencer - the 40# bag of BOSS that I usually get - Pennington  - is below the price for free delivery.  And yesterday I saw a couple of 40# bags in the store...a couple not the dozen or more I usually see.  The rub is I am moving soon and will not need that much seed right now.  Still do not know how much I may need at the new place. Also as an aside...the BOSS that i do get now seem to have more debris in  it...little bits of wood etc.  But beggars cant be choosers and the birds do not seem to mind.

ruthcatrin...yes we have seen all sort of things being sold out as you mentioned...it was suggested to me that with all the time people have had at home lately..they see more and more things to do and have time to do them

thank you all again..

• Like 2