Whatbird Community

all seen today/yesterday in ne michigan

first bird/1 pic - there were european starlings and red-winged blackbirds around that resemble the size and shape of this one... but the coloring looks different. maybe just lighting?

second bird/2 pics - i thought for sure once i got home id be able to id this guy...  but nothing seems to fit well. there were several pied-billed grebes and mallards around. i discounted it as a grebe for a while, due to its size and it was 'near' the grebe family for a while, till i noticed it wasnt diving at all.

3rd bird/1 pic - mayhap the same as the 2nd bird? these were (seemed) bigger than the 2nd though. more like mallard size. and we thought/think they are mallards, but i was expecting to see the curly tail feathers. do only males have those? i also expected to see more mottled appearance, assuming they are female mallards.

4th pic - red-tailed hawk?

last bird/2 pics - common raven? this guy massive. "it was the size of a goose!" lol just kidding. but really, as i drove by i thought it was just a big rock in the field.. but it kinda looked like it had a beak. so i pulled over and took some pics. beak much more beefy/thick than what im used to seeing on the american crows and is also super curvy at the end.  unfortunately, it didnt make any noise or move around.

Thanks!

IMG_2227 (2).JPG

IMG_2231 (2).JPG

IMG_2239 (2).JPG

IMG_2281 (2).JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2285 (2).JPG

Could first one be Dark-Eyed Junco? Second and third look like a mallard but I could be wrong. Fourth looks good for red-tailed. Last two are definitely common raven. Best way to tell is their size and their large beaks. 

• Thanks 1

ok... so i just realized there is no "third bird" i forgot to insert those pics... for those of you that are confused.

ill insert it here and copy/past my original text: 3rd bird/1 pic - mayhap the same as the 2nd bird? these were (seemed) bigger than the 2nd though. more like mallard size. and we thought/think they are mallards, but i was expecting to see the curly tail feathers. do only males have those? i also expected to see more mottled appearance, assuming they are female mallards.

IMG_2266 (2).JPG

11 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

2. Wood Duck

4. Red-tailed Hawk

9 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

2-3 are young Wood Ducks.

that was my 2nd thought (after grebe) but i didnt see a good eye ring or male facial marking. i figured it was a young something that was throwing me. there were several wood ducks around so it certainly makes sense. thanks!

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I dont't think the first bird is identifiable.  2-3 are young Wood Ducks. I agree with Red-tailed Hawk and Common Raven for the last two.

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, the "third birds" are Mallards.  I think they're males in nonbreeding plumage.  Or they could be young.

I agree with TBN.

• Thanks 1

Maybe Eastern Towhee for #1?... can't be 100% sure though. Both are Wood Ducks... the first is a male(the white cheek bridle can be seen), can't tell on the second. Agree  with Red-tailed Hawk and Common Raven, as well as male Mallards on the additional pic.

Edited by birdbrain22
enter #1
  • Like 1