Whatbird Community

Hmm.... tough one. My thoughts are the 2 inner birds look like Dowitchers.... look very chunky. The birds on both outer sides look smaller/thinner and look good for Stilts... but the left most bird I can see as a Dowitcher too.

Edited by birdbrain22

All four of them look like classic Stilt Sandpipers to me with that extensive barring, pronounced white eye stripe, and dark reddish crown. I think slender vs. chunky is highly subjective. 

Edited by Phalarope713
21 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

All four of them look like classic Stilt Sandpipers to me with that extensive barring, pronounced white eye stripe, and dark reddish crown. I think slender vs. chunky is highly subjective. 

I dunno...you may be right, but The side profile birds just do not fit for me.  Also Dowitchers can sport an eye stripe at different stages and the extent of barring can vary as well. 

Edited by birdbrain22
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't think those middle birds are Stilts, they've got that classic dowitcher look to them. I'm having trouble finding reference of either dowitcher species with that amount of barring below, though.

Edited by Benjamin