Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

1 hour ago, Jerry Friedman said:

even if I try to figure out which ones I saw while birding.

That's my secret; I'm always birding. 😁

Seriously though, I think a topic for insects would be great. I'm getting a smaller lens soon that should help me take better shots of them, which would hopefully make the identification process easier.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apple Snail eggs-this snail is an invasive species in Florida. With that they have provide the once endangered Limpkin a new food source helping them make a quick come back. 

064.JPG

• Like 8

On 3/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, Clip said:

Apple Snail eggs-this snail is an invasive species in Florida. With that they have provide the once endangered Limpkin a new food source helping them make a quick come back. 

064.JPG

The snails themselves have helped Snail Kites make a bounce back as well.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 5:17 AM, Clip said:

Eastern Coral Snake-Alachua County, FL My husband (who got back in the car hastily) and I spotted this deadly but beautiful snake while birding a cemetery in Florida. We didn't know at the time that it was deadly but I always assume snakes are and I kept my distances while getting several photos. The Eastern Coral Snake defies the rules on how to tell if a snake is venomous. Most venomous snakes have a head that is larger than their body. As you can see this is not the case with this venomous species. It defies the rules in other ways as well. Kind of the snake is sheep clothing for this most deadly snake in Florida. Looking all innocent! 

223.JPG

Red touches black, you're okay Jake.  Red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow

On 2/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, Clip said:

Cool to see there is already a thread for this! I have so many things I can share here. This is the first Tiger Beetle I ever found while out birding back in 2013. This is a Big Sand Tiger Beetle from Arapahoe County, CO. The first Tiger Beetle I posted was cryptic making it very hard to see especially when you consider how small. Tiger Beetles are tiny any way but the Mustached Tiger Beetle is even smaller than many others. By contrast the Big Sand Tiger Beetle is bold and beautiful. I have seen and photographed probably a dozen or more species of Tiger Beetle.  Look for them in damp sandy or damp sandy dirt areas. Love Tiger Beetles!

013 (2).JPG

Have you spotted any of their larval burrows? The larva ambushes prey as the walk fast and use their heads to block the entrance.  Burrows are about the width of a pencil.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, Clip said:

I have heard the saying but don't remember exactly how it goes either. When it comes to snakes, insects and even lizards I treat them all the same and that is like they may be dangerous and I give them space. That is what the super zoom camera is for. I photograph from a safe distance.

Good tactic for plants too

On 2/23/2021 at 4:46 AM, Clip said:

Nature is just full of surprises😲 Case in point how about a 6 inch wasp known as "Mega"hyssa Macrurus. Found this gal at Cherry Creek State Park in Colorado June 2014. Two inches of body and 4 inches of ovipositor. The ovipositor isn't used to sting it is used to lay eggs inside dead wood. This is the only one of these wasps I have ever seen.

014.JPG

026.JPG

Ichneumon wasps are cool.  Some, like this one, will drill into wood with the ovipositor to sting an insect larva and lay an egg on it.  How they can pinpoint larva like this is beyond me.  All ichneumon wasps are parasitic

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, Johnd said:

Fort Worth Robber Fly

Robber Fly

I watched a robber fly carry off a huge grasshopper one time.  The hopper must have been 3-4 times bigger than the robber.  Robbers don't have that hunched thorax for nothin'!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, PaulK said:
On 3/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Seanbirds said:

Mule Deer, right?

Correct!

Actually, that is a Great Blue Heron.  Not sure how you got a mule deer out of that one. 😉

• Haha 2

This is an old shot & I know this is a bird but it's the situation that was unusual. I thought it was strange this heron was staying put & not taking off as I got closer. After looking carefully I realized the Heron's left foot had actually frozen in place while it was roosting & it couldn't move if it wanted to. Happily when I returned later it had warmed up enough for it to get free & it had departed. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

FrozenHeron.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, stitch58 said:

This is an old shot & I know this is a bird but it's the situation that was unusual. I thought it was strange this heron was staying put & not taking off as I got closer. After looking carefully I realized the Heron's left foot had actually frozen in place while it was roosting & it couldn't move if it wanted to. Happily when I returned later it had warmed up enough for it to get free & it had departed. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

FrozenHeron.jpg

Yes! When I lived in Colorado this kind of thing would happen ever winter. Bald Eagles would take advantage of ducks and geese stuck frozen in lakes and ponds. Small birds frozen to tree limbs temporarily...... 

• Thanks 1