Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

Alligator and hatchling sea turtle. I don't recall the specific species of sea turtle perhaps @Seanbirds will know. The Sea Turtle was being rescue by Rangers at the park. They took it back to Park Headquarters to release at night when predators are fewer.

045 (2).JPG

044 (2).JPG

Edited by Clip
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Colton V said:

Okay, how did you rule out Western Red-backed? Are there any lunged salamanders in Portland? (keep in mind I don't know anything about salamanders... at all)

To the second question: Yes, plenty. To the first: I’ll get back to you on that when I have my western field guide with me.

9 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Sorry, but my hatchling sea turtle ID really sucks. 😢 Probably Loggerhead or Green...

I think Loggerhead is correct. It sounds familiar. The rangers told us at the time I just couldn't remember.

• Like 1

I couldn't get a good shot or look, but I think this was  a (or 2) young Canebrake Rattlers (C. horridus).  We were alerted to its presence by an odd, repetitive sound (clip attached--apologized for the poor quality).  The snake or snakes had head(s) beneath a mat of vegetation at the edge of a tiny freshwater pond/gator hole.  We were thinking the sound was prey.

2072941115_DSC06745-Copyed2.thumb.jpg.582105b5a359ca25a5c2d7986f47290e.jpg

20210405_185259 - Copyed.wav

• Like 6

Coachwhip from extreme Se Colorado 2018. One of my last trips to Colorado before moving to Florida. This is the only time I have seen a Coachwhip. Kind of cute for snake don't you think? It was faster than lightening. I got several photos of the snake when I discovered it near my car but once it decide to leave I saw some initial movement but then it was just gone in a flash. Cool snake I hope I get a chance to see more some day. 

116 (2).JPG

115.JPG

113 (2).JPG

Edited by Clip
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, floraphile said:

I couldn't get a good shot or look, but I think this was  a (or 2) young Canebrake Rattlers (C. horridus).  We were alerted to its presence by an odd, repetitive sound (clip attached--apologized for the poor quality).  The snake or snakes had head(s) beneath a mat of vegetation at the edge of a tiny freshwater pond/gator hole.  We were thinking the sound was prey.

2072941115_DSC06745-Copyed2.thumb.jpg.582105b5a359ca25a5c2d7986f47290e.jpg

20210405_185259 - Copyed.wav 1.25 MB · 0 downloads

Snake has been confirmed by a herpetologist as C. horridus and sound as that of a frog sp. in the throes of death.  

Edited by floraphile
clarification
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Clip said:

I always hate seeing fishing line in close proximity to birds. They get tangled so easily and then are either injured or killed.

I know what you mean.  In this wetland area the Fish & Game office is across the street.  Once I saw a coot with it's leg caught on a fishing line that was hanging from a tree limb and it could only move a few feet.  I reported it to the office and I was happy to see that they untangled the coot in a matter of minutes.  

But I know it doesn't always work out that way.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, xpoetmarcr said:

I know what you mean.  In this wetland area the Fish & Game office is across the street.  Once I saw a coot with it's leg caught on a fishing line that was hanging from a tree limb and it could only move a few feet.  I reported it to the office and I was happy to see that they untangled the coot in a matter of minutes.  

But I know it doesn't always work out that way.

Love they were able to help and so quickly. Sadly, it rarely works that way. My most recent encounter with fishing line and birds was an Anhinga that was hanging by it's neck by fishing line. It was long dead on an island in the middle of a pond. I have seen other problem as well. I don't have time right now but I'll try to find some of photos of birds and fishing line problems.

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, Clip said:

Love they were able to help and so quickly. Sadly, it rarely works that way. My most recent encounter with fishing line and birds was an Anhinga that was hanging by it's neck by fishing line. It was long dead on an island in the middle of a pond. I have seen other problem as well. I don't have time right now but I'll try to find some of photos of birds and fishing line problems.

Here is the photo of the Anhinga hanging by the neck from fishing line. This island is a rookery for Great Egret, Green Heron, Tri-colored Heron, Little Blue Heron Snowy Egrets, Comorants and Anhinga. Plus one of an Anhinga with obvious injuries. I don't know for sure that these came from fishing line but chances are pretty good.

081.JPG

137.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, xpoetmarcr said:

The early morning sun in Idaho covered by smoke from one of the Northern California wildfires in Sept. 2017.

BirdForum-11132.jpg

I remember that fire. We had to stay home from school for 4 days because you couldn't breathe outside. (I'm 30 miles away from Sonoma/Napa, where most of the fires are).

• Like 1