Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

3 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

SWEET! That is the coolest-looking Ringneck I’ve ever seen!

It sure is, the Subspecies found here in Sacramento  is extremely vibrant, not to mention rare, this is only the second one I've seen in seven years of paying close attention to herps. Most people here in Sacramento have never seen one even if they have searched for them. 

20210513_140009.thumb.jpg.392ae5e82a9ac21950f668abaaceab3f.jpg

• Like 9

On 4/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, RobinHood said:

Just happened to come across a squirrel yesterday relocating her babies one by one from one tree cavity to another one about 100m away.

Not really sure why she (presumably) was doing this although I do know the first tree cavity was used by a Flicker last year.

Squirrel baby relocation HVT-7517132.jpg

Squirrel baby relocation HVT-7517146.jpg

Follow-up to confirm that the returning Flickers were the guilty party. Interesting that the squirrels would back down from the Flickers but probably because the young ones were vulnerable.

Northern Flicker nest HVT-7510274.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Follow-up to confirm that the returning Flickers were the guilty party. Interesting that the squirrels would back down from the Flickers but probably because the young ones were vulnerable.

Northern Flicker nest HVT-7510274.jpg

I've read some harrowing accounts of what woodpeckers can do to baby mammals and baby birds.  ☠️

A puzzling turtle for me - we typically just see Snapping and Painted locally so I could not figure out this character at first.

Some quick research identified it as the infamous Red-eared Slider, another "pet gone wild". It had to be at least 300mm or a foot in length so probably close to full size and on the loose for a long time.

Turtle HVT-7519981.jpg

• Like 4