Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

Gopher Tortoise-these are suppose to be endangered but you could not prove it by me as I have seen a bunch. I think I saw my first four the first month we moved to Florida. Have seen a number of them since in various place in Florida including a few young ones. 

103.JPG

3060.JPG

047.JPG

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Blanding’s Turtle!!! Lifer, endangered, and just an awesome looking turtle. My sister spotted her first, after a bit I realized she was digging a nest at the gravelly side of the road. Hope the nest makes it. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/82376426

3FE5EA3A-1DE8-4B84-B8B2-8242944CCA51.jpeg

5D319042-B1CA-4E98-8321-1110FEE645E3.jpeg

AWESOME!!

Tell your sister “good eye!” for me. ?

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PaulK said:

This fellow has been in the tree outside our window all day, with crows harrassing it continuously from about 4:30am until mid-afternoon. No idea what got their goat.

DSCN3955.thumb.JPG.0c5a2dd24d1fe3a0399c1c7cd64765ba.JPG

Coons are notorious for nest robbing, both for eggs and baby birds. The Crows probably recognized it as such and don't want it around their territory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Terrible photo due to distance but this was one of the only two times I saw a badger. The second time I had no chance for a photo. Old photo from Colorado Pawnee National Grasslands was looking for Mountain Plover.

112.JPG

• Like 8