Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

@SeanbirdsI was told this is a crocodile by other people during a visit to the Everglades. I'm hoping you can confirm and maybe tell me what type crocodile. My first wild crocodile if it is. Sadly, we saw only one snake and it was being eaten by a crow. Hubby didn't stop for photos. He doesn't like snakes. We saw no other lizards except one Alligator.

183.JPG

184.JPG

• Like 4

Found this cutie pie at Crandon Park in Miami. I call it the island of misfit toys (think Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer). Apparently there was a zoo there at one time. When it closed and moved to another location they apparently didn't take everything. So it has a number of non-native species of birds and lizards. I don't know if this rabbit is one of them or something turned loose more recently. This is our 2nd trip to this park and the only time we saw the rabbit.

321.JPG

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Clip said:

@SeanbirdsI was told this is a crocodile by other people during a visit to the Everglades. I'm hoping you can confirm and maybe tell me what type crocodile. My first wild crocodile if it is. Sadly, we saw only one snake and it was being eaten by a crow. Hubby didn't stop for photos. He doesn't like snakes. We saw no other lizards except one Alligator.

183.JPG

184.JPG

You got it! American Crocodile. Congrats on finding it in the US!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Funny face and a manatee with something going on with it's hide. I over heard someone say they thought someone might have tried to skin it. Lordy, I hope that is not the case how cruel would that be. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This was in the same location as the crocodile above in the Everglades.

179.JPG

154.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Clip said:

manatee with something going on with it's hide. I over heard someone say they thought someone might have tried to skin it. Lordy, I hope that is not the case how cruel would that be.

Not only very cruel, but illegal. If a person got caught doing something like that, I’m pretty sure they’d be going to jail. Every Manatee is precious and must be protected if they are to be kept from going extinct.

Maybe a Crocodile attacked it. They can be much more aggressive than Alligators.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Clip said:

Funny face and a manatee with something going on with it's hide. I over heard someone say they thought someone might have tried to skin it. Lordy, I hope that is not the case how cruel would that be. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This was in the same location as the crocodile above in the Everglades.

179.JPG

154.JPG

Probably more likely to be injuries from boat propeller, although the long, linear scar oriented along the body axis is a little weird.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Not only very cruel, but illegal. If a person got caught doing something like that, I’m pretty sure they’d be going to jail. Every Manatee is precious and must be protected if they are to be kept from going extinct.

Maybe a Crocodile attacked it. They can be much more aggressive than Alligators.

That crocodile was only maybe 100ft. away from several manatee. And yes very illegal to harm or harass manatee. Of course, if I ever saw such a thing I'd probably being going to jail to for knee capping the SOB. But, it would be worth it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clip said:

White tailed Deer, Fox Squirrel and Fence Lizard I believe @Seanbirds Loving the blue chin on the lizard. I didn't notice it until looking at the photos at home.

001.JPG

027.JPG

039.JPG

Cool! Love that subspecies of Eastern Fox Squirrel! We get the red ones here in KS.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Just the other day, I was going birding when I saw three white-tailed deer on the riverbank through my binoculars. Seeing tons of eastern cottontails. Also, the most numerous animal I see when birding in the summertime is the mosquito!

Me too sort of! Here in Florida the blood suckers are tiny and I rarely see them but they love to bite me. I think I had more mosquito bites here in Florida in our first 6 month of 2 1/2 years, than I did my entire life before in Colorado and I'm on the other side of 60.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clip said:

Me too sort of! Here in Florida the blood suckers are tiny and I rarely see them but they love to bite me. I think I had more mosquito bites here in Florida in our first 6 month of 2 1/2 years, than I did my entire life before in Colorado and I'm on the other side of 60.

It's not too bad here in New York State, but the best birding places often have a lot of bugs. The birds have to eat something!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

It's not too bad here in New York State, but the best birding places often have a lot of bugs. The birds have to eat something!

They need to eat more here or there will be nothing left of me soon I fear🥴

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Clip said:

They need to eat more here or there will be nothing left of me soon I fear🥴

The more swallows I see, the faster I run!

Edited by Kevin
  • Haha 2