Jump to content
Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

It means there’s more mosquitoes in the area.

But, it also means they are being eaten. No swallows means no predators.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Clip said:

But, it also means they are being eaten. No swallows means no predators.

True. The reason mosquitoes haven’t really been a problem at our place this summer is because we have TONS of dragonflies!  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

True. The reason mosquitoes haven’t really been a problem at our place this summer is because we have TONS of dragonflies!  

My experience has been that the mosquitos are worse where there are no swallows or few swallows. Florida in general has fewer swallows than Colorado in the summer. But, the few places where mosquitos and other biting bugs were the worst there were few to no swallows. Tamarac SWA in NE Colorado comes to mind as an excellent example. Use all the bug spray you want at this location in the summer and you are still likely to get bit multiple times.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to put on my turtle hero hat yesterday morning out birding an office warehouse business complex that is a surprisingly good birding spot. Found this little guy cross a busy, even on Sunday road. It was close to making it so I was just going to hop out and get photos but after I snapped a couple of shots I looked up to see about 30 bicyclists barreling toward us so I stood in front of the turtle and waved them around. I then gently picked it up and put it in the grass. I hope it is okay. @Seanbirds can you tell me what it is? I'm thinking either a young Pond Slider or young Red-bellied Cooter.

064.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Clip said:

I had to put on my turtle hero hat yesterday morning out birding an office warehouse business complex that is a surprisingly good birding spot. Found this little guy cross a busy, even on Sunday road. It was close to making it so I was just going to hop out and get photos but after I snapped a couple of shots I looked up to see about 30 bicyclists barreling toward us so I stood in front of the turtle and waved them around. I then gently picked it up and put it in the grass. I hope it is okay. @Seanbirds can you tell me what it is? I'm thinking either a young Pond Slider or young Red-bellied Cooter.

064.JPG

Florida Red-bellied Cooter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Florida Red-bellied Cooter.

Cool thanks! I would have gotten it wrong. I was thinking Pond Slider but thought I'd include Red-bellied as I see a lot of the adults at this location.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Seanbirds& @Aidan BI'm hoping one of these might be a Pig Frog. The first two photos were taken in place where we often hear Pig Frogs. I don't recall where the 3rd photo was taken or if heard Pig Frogs. As I'm sure you know they can be very difficult to tell apart unless you hear them. So this novice herper is hoping for a little help. Thanks!

023 (2).JPG

033 (3).JPG

122.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Clip said:

@Aidan B @Seanbirdsthought you might know an id for this Utah lizard.

622.JPG

Most likely a Tiger Whiptail

I'm located in the west so I can't really help much with the Frogs, as I have no experience with all the east coast Herps. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Most likely a Tiger Whiptail

I'm located in the west so I can't really help much with the Frogs, as I have no experience with all the east coast Herps. 

Thank you on the Whiptail! It was worth a try on the Pig Frog. I'm creating a herps life list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Seanbirds Thank you sooooo very much for helping me get the herps in my herps file all ided!!! Below is a celebration of not just getting them ided but also getting them counted to create a herps life list. This is also thanks to @Seanbirds for encouraging me to create a life list. That life list now sits at 58 species. I still have not gone through all my dated files so there may be a few more but it should now be easy to keep the file organized...Thank you Seanbirds and everyone else I hope you enjoy my little montage of herps below!🥳🥳 

013 (2).JPG

023.JPG

028 (2).JPG

075 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

045 (4).JPG

076 (2).JPG

092.JPG

045 (3).JPG

143 (2).JPG

248.JPG

103.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Clip said:

@Seanbirds Thank you sooooo very much for helping me get the herps in my herps file all ided!!!

 

39 minutes ago, Clip said:

This is also thanks to @Seanbirds for encouraging me to create a life list.

 

39 minutes ago, Clip said:

Thank you Seanbirds

Oh, all that isn’t necessary. :classic_blush: I would’ve done it anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...