Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

49 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This animal come up to me when I was birding, it was very friendly and acted like it wanted me to feed it. Anyone know what it is? 😛

DSCN0278.JPG

Alpaca maybe

2 minutes ago, Clip said:

Alpaca maybe

Close, we have llamas though. That's our stud male Blackthorn. He is a very special breed, that have curly, silky hair. Also he is jet black unlike most llamas, which mean his hair does not get bleached out by sun.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Close, we have llamas though. That's our stud male Blackthorn. 

That was my second guess. Does it spit? I have heard they are bad about that.

3 hours ago, Clip said:

That was my second guess. Does it spit? I have heard they are bad about that.

Yes the absolutely do, but it is almost always at each other. Every time I have been spit on it was because I was between to of them(trying to hit the other llama but I was in the way), or we where doing something they didn't like(shearing etc.)

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Eastern Box Turtle! 

Agreed. As a kid in 'Bama I used to pick these up and take them home. Always wanted to make a pet of one. Never could teach them to sit up and beg or roll over, though. 😏

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Agreed. As a kid in 'Bama I used to pick these up and take them home. Always wanted to make a pet of one. Never could teach them to sit up and beg or roll over, though. 😏

Sitting up and begging are easy.  They don't take to rolling over.  :classic_blink:

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2021 at 8:32 AM, floraphile said:

Bringing your granddaughter up right!  ❤️ 

Naw her parents get credit for that. My husband and I just get to spoil her.😊

• Like 2

Cemeteries as birding hot spots can be good. Even better for bugs and even the occasional Venomous snake. There can also be a ton history and even art. And them there is evidence of the strength and power of trees.    

019.JPG

035.JPG

041.JPG

248.JPG

070.JPG

081.JPG

051.JPG

• Like 8

Have you ever been chased by a Grizzly Bear? I now have. 

While Walking over 3.5 miles back into the woods from the road in Glacier NP, we heard some people ahead of us on the trail start yelling "Bear, Bear!". They all were looking down the hill, so we thought it was safe to continue. We walked over the saddle, and there the bear was, only 60 yards away from us. It started to follow us and started gaining, we started to quickly walk back to the nearest group of people on the trail (1/2 a mile back). It was probably the most stressful half a mile in my life, having something that could kill you follow you and to gain on you. We were lucky and made it, we were close to using the bear spray. At one point it was within 40 yards or maybe even closer. Sorry about the poor photo, I was more focused on getting away.

Grizzly Bear

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

While Walking over 3.5 miles back into the woods from the road in Glacier NP, we heard some people ahead of us on the trail start yelling "Bear, Bear!". They all were looking down the hill, so we thought it was safe to continue. We walked over the saddle, and there the bear was, only 60 yards away from us. It started to follow us and started gaining, we started to quickly walk back to the nearest group of people on the trail (1/2 a mile back). It was probably the most stressful half a mile in my life, having something that could kill you follow you and to gain on you. We were lucky and made it, we were close to using the bear spray. At one point it was within 40 yards or maybe even closer. Sorry about the poor photo, I was more focused on getting away.

Grizzly Bear

Yikes!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Grizzly Bear

Great shot, @Connor Cochrane.  My hand would not have been so steady.  

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 7:04 AM, heme42 said:

This handsome fellow greeted me two mornings in a row in the parking lot of the Audubon bird sanctuary on Dauphin Island earlier in the year

IMG_0570-SharpenAI-focus.jpg

Maybe a Red Junglefowl? Do you know?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Grayish legs look like red junglefowl.

There is an established population in Fitzgerald, GA. I haven't been to see them, but now might be the time. I could use a good omelet.

• Haha 1