Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

At the risk of being boring (several previous posts) I am always interested when a Mink pops up -yes I know, they are very aggressive (I have photos of them trying to grab a Mallard chick (failed)and also raiding the local marsh nests) but they can be quite playful and always fascinating to watch.

For anyone into editing I tried the latest version of FocusMagic (my first effort with the trial) with marginal improvement. The Mink was moving quickly and I missed focus on the head (too close for a change).

Mink FocusMagic jpeg HandC-7525267.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I can't identify fish. I hardly see them except wiggling in the mouth of a heron and they are so fast.

I'm a Multi-species fisherman. It's pretty much the same thing as being a birder, just replace the birds with fish. You keep a lifelist of fish species caught, and have to deal with very tricky identifications. Empids, Gulls, and Peeps are easy compared to trying to identify the various Notropis shiners, Darters, and Cottus sculpins. 

The fish in the mouth of the heron photo you posted is a Bullhead, probably a Brown Bullhead. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I'm a Multi-species fisherman. It's pretty much the same thing as being a birder, just replace the birds with fish. You keep a lifelist of fish species caught, and have to deal with very tricky identifications. Empids, Gulls, and Peeps are easy compared to trying to identify the various Notropis shiners, Darters, and Cottus sculpins. 

The fish in the mouth of the heron photo you posted is a Bullhead, probably a Brown Bullhead. 

It's definitely difficult. For many species of fish you need to have them in your hand to ID them. One example I can think is King vs Silver salmon in out area where you need to look at gum color to make an ID (it's important because you can only keep one of the species).

• Like 4

On 8/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

Have you ever been chased by a Grizzly Bear? I now have. 

While Walking over 3.5 miles back into the woods from the road in Glacier NP, we heard some people ahead of us on the trail start yelling "Bear, Bear!". They all were looking down the hill, so we thought it was safe to continue. We walked over the saddle, and there the bear was, only 60 yards away from us. It started to follow us and started gaining, we started to quickly walk back to the nearest group of people on the trail (1/2 a mile back). It was probably the most stressful half a mile in my life, having something that could kill you follow you and to gain on you. We were lucky and made it, we were close to using the bear spray. At one point it was within 40 yards or maybe even closer. Sorry about the poor photo, I was more focused on getting away.

Grizzly Bear

Wow! Nice shot. Glad you made it out of there! That’s what I feared on my trip to Tahoe and Yosemite last week. Of course, no grizzlies there but there are black bears( still very dangerous). I didn’t see it, but somebody else in our group saw a bear cup up on a rock. 

On 8/3/2021 at 7:57 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

Bighorn Sheep

original.jpg?1628002436

Great photo! 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:30 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

Mountain Goat

original.jpg?1628004442