Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

but there are black bears( still very dangerous).

Oh, come on. Black bears aren't that dangerous. Of course it's good to keep your distance, respect their space, and be cautious around them, but it's not like they're out to get you or anything. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

What was the bear drinking? :classic_tongue:

Haha, thanks for that catch. 

8 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Oh, come on. Black bears aren't that dangerous. Of course it's good to keep your distance, respect their space, and be cautious around them, but it's not like they're out to get you or anything. 

Yes they are! Well, at least where my family is concerned. 

13 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Wow! Nice shot. Glad you made it out of there! That’s what I feared on my trip to Tahoe and Yosemite last week. Of course, no grizzlies there but there are black bears( still very dangerous). I didn’t see it, but somebody else in our group saw a bear cup up on a rock. 

Black Bears really aren't that dangerous. They're scared of you, if you make noise and get up big it'll usually scare them away.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Black Bears really aren't that dangerous. They're scared of you, if you make noise and get up big it'll usually scare them away.

We have tons of black bears where we are, and they are mainly a nuisance. They’ll get into the trash or birdseed and that’s about it. My grandfather will just light a couple sparklers and walk towards it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Maybe I should get into mammals and not just birds... I was thinking about getting into insects, actually.

Birding does seem to lead to looking for many to other creatures. One of the things I LOVE about birding is all the other things one sees while out birding. For me it lead to Butterflies (I have a life list) and then to other insects (I have one for Tiger Beetles). Then to herps (I recently created on for these)...One of the other things I love about birding is you can do it pretty much anywhere. Sitting at a traffic light, grocery store parking lots, airports, Garden centers, chruches...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Clip said:

Birding does seem to lead to looking for many to other creatures. One of the things I LOVE about birding is all the other things one sees while out birding. For me it lead to Butterflies (I have a life list) and then to other insects (I have one for Tiger Beetles). Then to herps (I recently created on for these)...One of the other things I love about birding is you can do it pretty much anywhere. Sitting at a traffic light, grocery store parking lots, airports, Garden centers, chruches...

Yes, definitely. 

• Like 1