Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

18 hours ago, floraphile said:

They & coyotes are invasive species this side of the Mississippi.  They are cute, but...

Not invasive-expanding their territory. Human population growth they kind of have too. I have seen one coyote here in NE Florida.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MacMe said:

Me too.  We lived in Florida for ~3 years and my wife has never seen a living one.  I've only seen a handful of living ones

We are coming up on our 3 year mark for moving here. What part of Florida generally speaking are you in? And where did you move from. I'm in NE Florida and moved here from Colorado.

5 hours ago, Clip said:

We are coming up on our 3 year mark for moving here. What part of Florida generally speaking are you in? And where did you move from. I'm in NE Florida and moved here from Colorado.

Melbourne/Palm Bay.  I attended Florida Institute of Technology.  I moved there after finishing at BYUI in Rexburg Idaho and before that Oakdale, CA, where I mostly grew up.  Now im in South Texas

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Saw a couple of these yesterday.

When we lived in Colorado I could drive just about 5 miles east of our home and find them. Anywhere from a single one to large herds. I miss them:( Does Kansas have them too? I don't recall seeing any in Kansas.

• Like 1

The time I thought I was going to have my tombstone read "killed by an otter".

Otter Close Encounter

Other than raccoons and armadillos, most of what I see are reptiles:

Copperhead

Six-lined Racerunner

That can't be comfortable

And this might not count, but while watching hummingbirds in my dad's yard in New Mexico, this guy strolled up the driveway:

DSCN0857

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Thanks. I don't know much about mammals! Only get a few species here, Eastern Chipmunk, Muskrat, Eastern Gray and Red Squirrels, and White-tailed Deer.

I only know because of my recent trip. Mule Deer look just like deer, but with big goofy ears, like a mule.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Thanks. I don't know much about mammals! Only get a few species here, Eastern Chipmunk, Muskrat, Eastern Gray and Red Squirrels, and White-tailed Deer.

No humans? lucky

• Like 1
  • Haha 6