Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, meghann said:

Actually, it's a Pronghorn.

I love that you didn't call it an Antelope. Not very many people get this correct. Not even those that should know better that live in Colorado, Wyoming...

Edited by Clip
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Clip said:

I'd like to see this story.

Not a very long one. Birding by myself early in the morning, like I usually do. Hear rustling in the grass, and this otter pops out onto the road. At first I was excited, because I had never gotten to see one that close out in the open. Then, it turned and started running AT me. I was less excited then, and was wondering what I should do if it didn't stop. It turned at the last second and dove into the pond nearby. Basically, the otter played chicken with me. Guess I won?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, meghann said:

Not a very long one. Birding by myself early in the morning, like I usually do. Hear rustling in the grass, and this otter pops out onto the road. At first I was excited, because I had never gotten to see one that close out in the open. Then, it turned and started running AT me. I was less excited then, and was wondering what I should do if it didn't stop. It turned at the last second and dove into the pond nearby. Basically, the otter played chicken with me. Guess I won?

Sounds like a scene from Zootopia

• Haha 4

On 9/5/2021 at 12:18 PM, meghann said:

I would have been wondering if I should run. Which probably would have been a mistake. Cool story!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clip said:

I would have been wondering if I should run. Which probably would have been a mistake. Cool story!

Yeah, you hear about what to do for bears and such, but I've not heard anything about what to do in an otter attack. 😂

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, meghann said:

Yeah, you hear about what to do for bears and such, but I've not heard anything about what to do in an otter attack. 😂

True and I have seen more otters than bears.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 12:08 AM, Jerry Friedman said:

Western Black-necked Garter Snake, La Mesilla (near Española), N. M.

gartersnakehead72crop.jpg

I'm a little jealous here. I live in Florida and I don't think I have seen a single snake all summer. 🥴 This one is very cool looking. Much different than the ones I have seen here and in Colorado.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Clip said:

I'm a little jealous here. I live in Florida and I don't think I have seen a single snake all summer. 🥴 This one is very cool looking. Much different than the ones I have seen here and in Colorado.

I should amend this to say I haven't seen any in my County in NE Florida this summer. I have seen a few in our travels to South Florida and in the pan handle of Florida.

• Like 2