Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

I spent some time today trying to determine what was happening - fairly sure it was a Snapping Turtle intimate moment (the hatchlings only recently finished their migration to the lake!!, but apparently mating can extend into November). I was a little confused by the quite light speckled view, which I think is the underside of one of the happy couple.

The young Green Heron was observing at the same time and seemed to be equally puzzled by the events.

If anyone with Snapper expertise can confirm or shed more light I would appreciate it.

Snapping Turtle 1 HVT-7530692.jpg

Snapping Turtle 2 HVT-7530719.jpg

Green Heron juv HVT-7530704.jpg

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I spent some time today trying to determine what was happening - fairly sure it was a Snapping Turtle intimate moment (the hatchlings only recently finished their migration to the lake!!, but apparently mating can extend into November). I was a little confused by the quite light speckled view, which I think is the underside of one of the happy couple.

The young Green Heron was observing at the same time and seemed to be equally puzzled by the events.

If anyone with Snapper expertise can confirm or shed more light I would appreciate it.

Snapping Turtle 1 HVT-7530692.jpg

Snapping Turtle 2 HVT-7530719.jpg

Green Heron juv HVT-7530704.jpg

@Clip has witnessed something similar to this.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, Seanbirds said:

@Clip has witnessed something similar to this.

Yep I have! Started on the bank but moved into the water. I was bit worried he was going to drown her, he had her under for so long.

037 (2).JPG

050 (3).JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clip said:

Yep I have! Started on the bank but moved into the water. I was bit worried he was going to drown her, he had her under for so long.

037 (2).JPG

050 (3).JPG

Snappers can hold their breath for an amazing amount of time. Up to over an hour, I believe.

• Like 3

This was one great birding day back in April 2015. Thanks to a tip I got from a fellow birder I went out seeking Chestnut-collared Longspurs. This trip took me from a south east Suburbs of Denver to just just shy of the Colorado Nebraska border in the Pawnee National Grasslands. I birded along (saw some great birds) the way hitting a few hot spots but I also encountered this interaction of a Fox and her pups (photo below) right off the road that divides the two halves of Pawnee National Grasslands. This photo only shows two pups but there were at least 5. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world at this point but then I went onto get my target Chestnut-collared Longspur. 

071.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 10:36 AM, Clip said:

I don't think I ever got around to posting these after our trip to the Keys in March. The Key Deer are very use to humans and will walk right up to you hoping for food.

360.JPG

395.JPG

358.JPG

Reminds me of the deer in Nara, Japan. Some of the young bucks there could be pretty agressive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Reminds me of the deer in Nara, Japan. Some of the young bucks there could be pretty agressive.

These deer were not aggressive at all. They were friendly even though we did not feed them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hmmm....

Yep! Hmmm???? and Why??? and What the...? Having lived in land locked Colorado most of life living near the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico has been different in many ways.

• Like 1