Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Short-tailed Weasel by chipperatl2, on Flickr   Mink by chipperatl2, on Flickr   _91A2073 by chipperatl2, on Flickr _91A9181 by chipperatl2, on Flickr  

I was sitting on the bank of a river today when something frightened away the Louisiana Waterthrush I was watching.  I soon found out what scared it...

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago while birding I came across this 20 foot Minke Whale in a bay not far from NYC being rescued by New Jersey's Marine Mammal Stranding Center. It had become stuck in shallow water & fortunately the men were able to push it back into deeper water as the tide was rising & it swam off.

Minke.jpg

Juvenile Harbor Seal

Seal.jpg

Edited by stitch58
  • Like 7
On 10/15/2020 at 6:04 AM, RobinHood said:

A Mink coming ashore and debating whether to ignore me or not - they usually do.

Mink coming ashore HVT-7505731.jpg

Mink stay or go HVT-7505740.jpg

Wow! I didn't know that animals like weasels and minks were so easy to find! I've always had trouble photographing mustelids....:classic_dry:

Spotted this Turtle hatchling this morning (just over an inch long). They tend to stall halfway across paths (especially if they are asphalt) and need a helping hand.

Quite late as the ones at our local site had all finished heading for the water three weeks ago.

Snapping Turtle hatchling EcoP-7506432.jpg

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 4
On 10/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, RobinHood said:

Spotted this Turtle hatchling this morning (just over an inch long). They tend to stall halfway across paths (especially if they are asphalt) and need a helping hand.

Quite late as the ones at our local site had all finished heading for the water three weeks ago.

Snapping Turtle hatchling EcoP-7506432.jpg

Awww... so cute!