Jump to content
Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, smskelton said:

I get up early at our summer home in the Oregon Cascades, or the Stellar's Jays will sit on my railing looking in the windows reminding me it's time for the feeder to get attended1896931477_SunriseatElkLakeSeptember2021.thumb.jpg.36f27c6f5edac062b9f8d099685b5a00.jpg.  In the fall we get some nice sunrises primarily because the days grow shorter and it's still dark when we get up to see them happen.

This should in landscapes topic. Beautiful!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smskelton said:

Sorry, I'm pretty new to this site and have not figured out where all things go.

I didn't mean it wasn't okay here. Just that it would be a great addition to the Landscape topic. Sorry about the confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Clip said:

If memory serves it was no more than a puddle on the side of the road/hiking trail.

But what habitat was that in? It’s relevant because you’ll only find tadpoles where there’s adults of the same species around, and they often require a certain habitat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 3:36 PM, smskelton said:

I get up early at our summer home in the Oregon Cascades, or the Stellar's Jays will sit on my railing looking in the windows reminding me it's time for the feeder to get attended1896931477_SunriseatElkLakeSeptember2021.thumb.jpg.36f27c6f5edac062b9f8d099685b5a00.jpg.  In the fall we get some nice sunrises primarily because the days grow shorter and it's still dark when we get up to see them happen.

Lovely photo. We sure have been having some good ones lately - yesterday and today's were nearly full color 360 degrees to the point if you didn't have a reference you'd have a hard time telling which way was E vs W.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

But what habitat was that in? It’s relevant because you’ll only find tadpoles where there’s adults of the same species around, and they often require a certain habitat.

Foothills/mountains pine forest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 7:44 AM, Clip said:

@SeanbirdsHow are your tadpole id skills? Photo taken near El Dorado Springs, CO in late June 2015.

121.JPG

I’m guessing they’re *probably* Boreal Chorus Frog tadpoles, but  Northern Leopard Frog is somewhat of a possibility as well, though Chorus Frog seems quite a bit more likely.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I’m guessing they’re *probably* Boreal Chorus Frog tadpoles, but  Northern Leopard Frog is somewhat of a possibility as well, though Chorus Frog seems quite a bit more likely.

Thank you! I would not have even known where to start figuring them out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Snakes can generally be found whenever it gets above 55 degrees or so.

I learned this after seeing our first and only so far Pygmy Rattlesnake here in Florida. It was a cool day and I told my husband we didn't have to worry about snakes as we entered a trail that was pretty over grown. Darned if I didn't almost step directly on the snake. I don't recall exactly who I got the info from later but they said the exact same temperature of 55 degrees.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Clip said:

I learned this after seeing our first and only so far Pygmy Rattlesnake here in Florida. It was a cool day and I told my husband we didn't have to worry about snakes as we entered a trail that was pretty over grown. Darned if I didn't almost step directly on the snake. I don't recall exactly who I got the info from later but they said the exact same temperature of 55 degrees.

Neat! Do you have pictures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...