Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

3 hours ago, Avery said:

Could it be a Map or Box Turtle?

Box Turtles are land turtles so not that. Otherwise I hope Seanbirds responds I'm learning turtles but not confident I can id this one for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, Clip said:

@Aidan Bthis photo was taken at the same time as the Parrotfish you ided for me previously in the Florida Keys brackish water. I'm hoping you can tell what they are. Thank you for helping me with this.

449.JPG

@Aidan BI don't know if you didn't see this one or are sick of iding fish for me. Or maybe need more info. It was in the Florida Keys Brackish water. Let me know if you don't want to help with these any more? After adventures yesterday I have more new ones and still have old ones to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clip said:

@AveryI think your 3rd turtle photo (light colored under shell with black dots) is a Coastal Plains Cooter.

Ok cool! Would some of them have a red ear, or would something that looked similar with a red ear be a red-eared slider?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clip said:

@Aidan BI don't know if you didn't see this one or are sick of iding fish for me. Or maybe need more info. It was in the Florida Keys Brackish water. Let me know if you don't want to help with these any more? After adventures yesterday I have more new ones and still have old ones to go.

Somehow missed this one. 

I think these are probably unidentifiable, although they are probably killifish sp. 

Keep on sending the fish photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Aidan Bokay so here are a couple new ones from Gilchrist County, FL. Spring water prior to getting to the Suwanee River. The first photo was a very small cool looking fish with a goldish head and bluish tail. Surrounded by other fish similar in size but not colorful. Male/Female maybe? Then the other two photos are the same area maybe 10 feet away from the first fish. Much larger fish than the ones in the first photo. Seemed to be black with white fish lips and fin edges.  Thank in advance.

066.JPG

078.JPG

082.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, Avery said:

Ok cool! Would some of them have a red ear, or would something that looked similar with a red ear be a red-eared slider?

I don't think the Coastal Plains Cooter's have a red ear. Whether there are other turtles that have a red ear beside the red eared slider I'm not sure but I don't think so.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 2:39 AM, Clip said:

@Aidan Bokay so here are a couple new ones from Gilchrist County, FL. Spring water prior to getting to the Suwanee River. The first photo was a very small cool looking fish with a goldish head and bluish tail. Surrounded by other fish similar in size but not colorful. Male/Female maybe? Then the other two photos are the same area maybe 10 feet away from the first fish. Much larger fish than the ones in the first photo. Seemed to be black with white fish lips and fin edges.  Thank in advance.

066.JPG

078.JPG

082.JPG

1. I believe this is a Bluefin Killifish

2 and 3, The large fish, is a sucker/redhorse. I'm struggling to find what species are around that area. There's no detailed range maps from what I can find. Maybe a Blacktail Redhorse? 

3. The small fish is a Largemouth Bass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aidan B said:

1. I believe this is a Bluefin Killifish

2 and 3, The large fish, is a sucker/redhorse. I'm struggling to find what species are around that area. There's no detailed range maps from what I can find. Maybe a Blacktail Redhorse? 

3. The small fish is a Largemouth Bass

Thank you! These fish were cool to see. So much of the water here in Florida is Cypress stained brown and you can't see anything in it. So when you come to spring water areas before the merge with the river and get to see the fish and turtles it is pretty awesome. We saw a ton of fish in there too. The fish were for sure the highlight of the day as most of the birds were hanging out way at the tops of the trees and not show themselves at all.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, Avery said:

Looking for confirmation. Saw a whole bunch of cool stuff other than birds on my Alabama coast trip. Here are some I'm not sure of the ID's on:

Bottlenose Dolphin - a few VERY close to shore, surprised the didn't get stuck when the waves went out! Wasn't able to get photos of the head or tail. This is the best look I could get

P1410771.thumb.JPG.9d5d72943486d69e5ed6802f1136d4d3.JPG

Painted Turtles?

P1410842.thumb.JPG.d27f7bd562ecfbcb8ea01b99da997ea8.JPG

This one was HUGEP1420091.thumb.JPG.0153a30f75eb555548f87076f11b873f.JPG

P1410848.thumb.JPG.d55a72a2b4ec047171e6cf40f706e1b6.JPG

Harlequin Darner

P1420027.thumb.JPG.f254cdf116a10d1ee9009dce8abb970c.JPG

???P1410851.thumb.JPG.b5f96d4703b9b966059c0354b990c683.JPG

1. Habitat, range, general appearance, and GISS all really point to Bottlenose Dolphin to me. I’d be totally fine calling it as such.

2. I’m thinking (River?) Cooter, but without different angles I’m not sure if I can identify this guy.

3. I wanna say Coastal Plain Cooter, but ditto above.

4. Hmm these are very confusing! They’re definitely cooters, but the only ones in the area with spots that dark are Alabama Red-bellied Cooters, and they generally would have much redder plastrons than these guys. I’m kinda confused.

5. Pass

6. Looks like an aged Pond Slider.

18 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

1. Habitat, range, general appearance, and GISS all really point to Bottlenose Dolphin to me. I’d be totally fine calling it as such.

2. I’m thinking (River?) Cooter, but without different angles I’m not sure if I can identify this guy.

3. I wanna say Coastal Plain Cooter, but ditto above.

4. Hmm these are very confusing! They’re definitely cooters, but the only ones in the area with spots that dark are Alabama Red-bellied Cooters, and they generally would have much redder plastrons than these guys. I’m kinda confused.

5. Pass

6. Looks like an aged Pond Slider.

Thank you! Here are the other shots of #2 I got

P1410845.thumb.JPG.e963210f9c5b8782988ce6760af0b41c.JPGP1410844.thumb.JPG.4060324676e20769f5c907e9e9d7d52b.JPGP1410843.thumb.JPG.4758aad0a4c7519a6de586e58c8a04a1.JPG

Didn't get any other shots of #3.

Shots of #4 are same angle

For future reference, what are good pictures to take for ID? I'm not sure what I should be looking for to try and ID turtles. Also, is there a good field guide you would recommend for herps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

It's weird that I've never seen an opossum before...I think they are supposed to be common here.

I’ve only ever seen one, alive that is. They’re noctural

• Like 1