Jump to content
Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding


Recommended Posts

I saw a mama and baby Oryx. They are part of a herd of 20+ which is really impressive and cool to see. People around here in New Mexico are in constant debate about these creatures because they aren't native but I admit I get giddy every time I see them. This picture isn't the greatest quality because they were pretty far out, behind two wire fences. But oh well. Still pretty cool.

Oryx Baby

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 7:39 PM, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

South Padre Island Jetty this past weekend - some type of crab amongst the jetty rocks...

 

you were just around the corner from me, I can almost see SPI from my house

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, Avery said:

I think Red Salamander and maybe Fowler’s Toad? @Seanbirds

 

A39834E8-1114-4353-9F8A-8E21F758BD74.png

DFA9687B-0774-44F5-B32A-A393935CB80B.jpeg

579CB4A3-F156-475C-B423-6CB48B2E92ED.jpeg

Does anyone know if this toad is a Fowler’s? I don’t know a lot about them, but I think I read that they don’t have spots on their chest, and this guy doesn’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Where is this?

By an ephemeral stream in a Cedar Forest outside of Murfreesboro (central TN). Other species I’ve seen there are Northern Zigzag and Spotted Salamander, as well as Red Eft and Leopard Frog, if that’s any help. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Avery said:

By an ephemeral stream in a Cedar Forest outside of Murfreesboro (central TN). Other species I’ve seen there are Northern Zigzag and Spotted Salamander, as well as Red Eft and Leopard Frog, if that’s any help. 

Cool stuff man!

The first one is a Cave Salamander and the second is an American Toad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Cool stuff man!

The first one is a Cave Salamander and the second is an American Toad.

I thought maybe Cave, but it wasn’t in a cave so…

how do you tell with the toad?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Avery said:

how do you tell with the toad?

Majorly by the cranial crests but also it was more yellowish and less boldly patterned than what I'd expect from a Fowler's. Also GISS just looked really American-y.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Majorly by the cranial crests but also it was more yellowish and less boldly patterned than what I'd expect from a Fowler's. Also GISS just looked really American-y.

Is chest spotting not to be trusted then? That's likely the only field mark I'll be able to remember 😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Avery said:

Is chest spotting not to be trusted then? That's likely the only field mark I'll be able to remember 😅

IDK that doesn't seem to be an important feature to me, I've never needed to use it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Seanbirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, chipperatl said:

I have no theories how this thing got out on this trail, other than a Dukes of Hazzard attempt gone wrong.  

IMG_8661.jpg

Did you check to see if there was anyone inside?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...