Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

Couldn't seem to find anything about them online, so here you go.

"Fully Developed nymphs burrow out of the ground at night.....The nymphs climb onto tree trunks, low plants, or other objects. Adult cicadas emerge from this last nymphal stage through a crack along the back, leaving the light brown cast skin behind"

20230316_085710.jpg

20230316_085653.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

"Fully Developed nymphs burrow out of the ground at night.....The nymphs climb onto tree trunks, low plants, or other objects. Adult cicadas emerge from this last nymphal stage through a crack along the back, leaving the light brown cast skin behind"

20230316_085710.jpg

20230316_085653.jpg

Nothing to do with this at all, but-

Your new signature is HILARIOUS. I love it. So true.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kevin said:

20230316_085710.jpg

20230316_085653.jpg

Thank you Kevin. Great information. I appreciate you taking the time. Funny signature line.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Still waiting on confirmation but I believe this is a Western Deer Mouse

original.jpg

First of all-- nice shot. Small rodents are definitely one of the most difficult animals to photograph in the wild. 

Secondly, I assume this was in Marin county? Or somewhere close?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

First of all-- nice shot. Small rodents are definitely one of the most difficult animals to photograph in the wild. 

Secondly, I assume this was in Marin county? Or somewhere close?

Yeah, Marin County in the middle of oak forest. Dusky-footed Woodrat is the 'typical' rodent you get here but this seemed different to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Yeah, Marin County in the middle of oak forest. Dusky-footed Woodrat is the 'typical' rodent you get here but this seemed different to me.

Yeah, it's obviously some sort of Peromyscus sp. Let me take a look.

28 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Still waiting on confirmation but I believe this is a Western Deer Mouse

original.jpg

Ok, so I took a little closer look and this seems to be either a Brush Mouse or an American Deer Mouse. Did you notice anything about its tail besides what we can see here? Was it noticeably long or short? Did you see a tuft at the end?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Ok, so I took a little closer look and this seems to be either a Brush Mouse or an American Deer Mouse. Did you notice anything about its tail besides what we can see here? Was it noticeably long or short? Did you see a tuft at the end?

Don't remember seeing a tuft at the end of the tail. It didn't seem particularly long or short, maybe on the longer side if anything. I don't believe Brush Mice occur in the Bay Area, so I'd assume it's a Deer Mouse. 

• Like 2

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

Don't remember seeing a tuft at the end of the tail. It didn't seem particularly long or short, maybe on the longer side if anything. I don't believe Brush Mice occur in the Bay Area, so I'd assume it's a Deer Mouse. 

Well from what range maps I've seen, they do have a presence in that area, and the habitat doesn't seem to off so I wouldn't count Brush out. 

What elevation?

Looks like maybe an American Grass Mantis. It hasn't been confirmed on iNaturalist yet though.

I truly wasn't even sure this was an insect until I got the photos home and on the computer. There was a bunch of tiny debris near it so it could have been just more debris. Look close and you can see the legs and antenna. None of the examples I saw on iNat showed wings like this. Fun find.

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Clip said:

Snorkeling in Salt Springs yesterday I came across this fish but wasn't able to get a good photo. iNat had no suggestions but I'm hoping maybe @Aidan Bmight be able to help with an id even just narrowing it down.

20220101_003005A.jpg

20220101_002957A.jpg

Looks like a Largemouth Bass. They're among some of the more common fish species in these Florida springs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Looks like a Largemouth Bass. They're among some of the more common fish species in these Florida springs. 

Thank you! Yes probably so. I know I have photographed them before from above in other springs. I just don't know these fish well enough yet. Except maybe Sea Mullet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Oscars maybe?

Maybe but I know so little about fish. I just know it is fun trying to photograph them. Then I hope iNaturalist knows and if not maybe @Aidan Bwill know. iNaturalist is great but so far it cannot take the place of well informed humans.

• Like 2