Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

I ran out after dark to try and get an Eastern whip-poor-will which I need for the year.  I ended up submitting a checklist with 0 birds, but when i got home, I did find this surprisingly quiet (maybe they don't oink at night) feral hog in my photos later and in a video:

I'm happy with my night vision goggles.

Gotta give many thanks to @IKLland for his young eyes, when in this ID thread, he stated my earlier photo of this Hog looked like a pig:

5fWlpzw.jpg

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I ran out after dark to try and get an Eastern whip-poor-will which I need for the year.  I ended up submitting a checklist with 0 birds, but when i got home, I did find this surprisingly quiet (maybe they don't oink at night) feral hog in my photos later and in a video:

I'm happy with my night vision goggles.

Gotta give many thanks to @IKLland for his young eyes, when in this ID thread, he stated my earlier photo of this Hog looked like a pig:

5fWlpzw.jpg

Where is the pig in that image?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I don’t see it there. @blackburnianif you really care,  check out the ID thread instead 

How do you not see that?  Look inside the circle.  Look for the ears, nose, and eye.  You can see the legs under the circle.  

If you click on the pictures on my posts, they come up bigger.

doKL8wj.jpg

I'm just noticing now with the additional edits, but there are at least three, perhaps 4 feral hogs in my photo:

5D9p6pH.jpg

Edited by dragon49

I appreciate all the feedback.  Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe I'm not.  Maybe I was looking for a hog in patterns after @IKLland noticed one in a different photo.  I have nothing else to add regarding what looks to me like a feral hog or hogs about to cross the road.  I do, however, want to end this discussion with everybody agreeing with me.  So, please tell me that y'all can see me taking a video in this snapshot.  I have no idea how this reflection of me taking the video of the woods across the path ended up in the video, but I know what I look like. 🙂  No need for circles or arrows.  Just find the light and move up to see my face and head.

And while we are here, can somebody give me a scientific explanation of how I ended up in a video that shows me taking a video that I took of the woods across the path?

h360TbW.jpg

zYpyShD.jpg

Edited by dragon49
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, dragon49 said:

I appreciate all the feedback.  Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe I'm not.  Maybe I was looking for a hog in patterns after @IKLland noticed one in a different photo.  I have nothing else to add regarding what looks to me like a feral hog or hogs about to cross the road.  I do, however, want to end this discussion with everybody agreeing with me.  So, please tell me that y'all can see me taking a video in this snapshot.  I have no idea how this reflection of me taking the video of the woods across the path ended up in the video, but I know what I look like. 🙂  No need for circles or arrows.  Just find the light and move up to see my face and head.

And while we are here, can somebody give me a scientific explanation of how I ended up in a video that shows me taking a video that I took of the woods across the path?

h360TbW.jpg

zYpyShD.jpg

I don't knnow why this came to mind, but with the lighting, you kinda look like batman:classic_laugh:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stolen catch-two kids fishing at the family beach portion of Huguenot Memorial Park in Jacksonville, FL had their catch stolen by this Wood Stork. The girl tried to catch up with the Wood Stork as it walked away with the Black Drum fish. It flew before she could though.  It is actually a common sight to see Great Egrets and Wood Storks hanging out near people fishing here.

DSCN8794.JPG

DSCN8795.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cannonball Jellyfish-Huguenot Memorial Park, Jacksonville, FL. A common sight at certain times of the year. Sometimes seen dead by the hundreds maybe thousands. Also posted a live one seen not far from Huguenot.

DSCN8764.JPG

039.JPG

110.JPG

• Like 3

Maybe an American Dyeball or Dead Man's Foot found in Etoniah State Forest, Florida. I have it posted on iNat but id has not been confirmed yet. It may never be as Mushrooms, Fungi and the like seem to be a weak point on iNat.

DSCN8974.JPG

• Like 2