Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

On 3/2/2024 at 7:21 PM, Kevin said:

After an hour of unproductive results I ran across a photo similar to mine...Possibly they are somthing in the Waterslater (Caecidotea)family? 

I assume you posted it on iNat?

Look what scarred the heck out of my husband the other day in Duval County, FL. He had just been standing on a narrow bare spot where folks have worn down the vegetation to fish or bird from this spot. He says he looked in the vegetation next to the worn area before he proceeded. He put up his binoculars to look for birds in the marsh didn't see any turned around the way he'd come and oh boy there is snake. He is very lucky he didn't get bit. He doesn't like snakes so he is was pretty shook up. I was delayed getting to the spot photographing a Bald Eagle sitting on a pole nearby. Of course, he stops me from going to the same spot pointing out the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. I, of course, put my camera up. This was our first Diamondback. So I'm thinking cool find while he is ready to leave and never come back.  We saw the last two snakes the day before at another location. The first another venomous snake a Florida Cottonmouth the next Is a Red bellied Snake non-venomous. Three snakes in two days helps make up for last summer when we saw none.

DSCN1727.JPG

DSCN1733.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1484.JPG

DSCN1500.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/28/2024 at 7:37 AM, jfredrick said:

Florida Cracker Cow stirring up insects for a Western Cattle Egret. 🙂

_DSC5677_cow.jpg

Been around cattle all my life and didn't know what a 'cracker cow' was so you sent me on an interesting Google search. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SirVive said:

Out for a walk on our local greenspace trail. Anyone know what it is off the top of your head?

20240331_171104.jpg

Post it on iNaturalist you may get your answer instantly.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Was graced by a trio of Bighorn Sheep this evening, unfortunately they thought it was a great idea to chill and hang out right in the middle of the trail I was hiking.

IMG_2375.thumb.jpg.1cbd95ca21e31e1b2ed7a3da3313b8ce.jpgIMG_2381.thumb.jpg.d391141a2c12aa61fe132e3254eee250.jpgIMG_2385.thumb.jpg.ba9fee20fe1d58d6f53590cd2bd362c1.jpg

Are those all battle scars on that first one? Or weird shadows?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jayD said:

pronghorn, speedster of the prairie.

DSC_5660m.jpg

DSC_5656.JPG

One of many creatures I miss from living in Colorado but now in Florida. Of course, Florida makes up for much of what I miss from Colorado with other creatures. Thank you for calling them Pronghorn and not Antelope or Pronghorn Antelope. There is an author I read the setting of his books is Wyoming, his main character is a game warden and he calls them Pronghorn Antelope. They are not an Antelope. Drives me crazy but I otherwise mostly enjoy his books.  

Edited by Clip
  • Thanks 1

Went out on my step sons boat yesterday into the Gulf of Mexico near Hommossa, FL and got to see several adult sea turtles. Sadly, they would only surface for a few seconds making getting a good photo impossible. I tried getting in the water with my underwater camera but visibility was only maybe 8 feet and they were not even close to that. I think maybe 15 feet away was as close as they got. I wasn't in the water then of course. Any way it was super cool to see sea turtles. I had only seen one before and it was a hatchling. Seeing adults a first. So awesome. I wish I was a better more confident swimmer.

DSCN3690.JPG

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, Aidan B said:

That one's a lot easier! It's certainly a Blenny, most likely a Crested Blenny, though I'm not 100% sure I can rule out Feather Blenny. 

Thought I share with you that iNaturalist confirmed this as a Molly Miller after I posted it on there yesterday. I had it as a Hairy Blenny initially.